From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly Promotes Citizen's Pledge on Nuclear Weapons

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 20 Jun 1997 06:33:44

19-June-1997
GA79089

           Assembly Promotes Citizen's Pledge on Nuclear Weapons

                           by Nancy Rodman

SYRACUSE--The 209th General Assembly Wednesday evening urged Presbyterians
to make personal commitments to the cause of world peace by considering
signing the Citizen's Pledge (below) to abolish all nuclear weapons and to
participate in education and advocacy efforts for arms control and
disarmament.

    The Assembly renewed its call for the ratification and implementation
of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty and for implementation of the Chemical
Weapons Ban Treaty and the revised Protocol on Antipersonnel Mines.
Congregations and presbyteries are encouraged to advocate with their
Representatives and Senators for ratification and implementation of the
treaties.

    The Assembly commended those countries and world leaders who have given
concrete direction and guidance in achieving the completion of the
Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty and celebrated those in business and science
who are giving their lives to the destruction of weapons and to the
conversion of weapons to peacetime use.

                          Citizen's Pledge

    Nuclear weapons threaten life, liberty and security of person.  A world
free of nuclear weapons is a human right.  Nuclear weapons serve no
justifiable purpose, and pose a long-term threat to all forms of life.
Reliance by governments on these weapons, which threaten massive death and
destruction, is immoral.  The responsibility for ending this reliance lies
with all of us, and particularly the citizens of the nuclear weapons
states.

    Article VI of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons
(NPT), signed by more than 160 nations, calls `for negotiations in good
faith on effective measures related to cessation of the nuclear arms race
at an early date and to nuclear disarmament'  I support the goal of nuclear
disarmament.  I urge all governments, and specifically my own government,
to immediately initiate negotiations for an International Treaty on
Comprehensive Nuclear Disarmament.

    I pledge to seek the abolition of all nuclear weapons in the world, and
to take all actions within my capabilities toward realizing this goal.

    Signature:___________________.  Return to Presbyterian Peace
Fellowship, Box 271, Nyack, NY 10960.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>