From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly Preacher Soto Calls for Balance in Ministry

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 20 Jun 1997 21:00:56

20-June-1997
GA97112

        Assembly Preacher Soto Calls for Balance in Ministry

                       by Jerry Van Marter

SYRACUSE--Decrying "a world of imbalance and polarization," Assembly
preacher the Rev. Eriberto "Eddie" Soto told worshipers Friday that he is
"saddest that instead of being a model for the world, the church instead
reflects and imitates the world."

    Soto, a Brooklyn-born Puerto Rican who is area secretary for South
America in the Worldwide Ministries Division in Louisville, cited four
reasons why the Presbyterian Church must maintain balance in its attention
to spiritual and social issues.  First, he said, "such balance is the
example given to us by Jesus Christ, who taught, preached and healed."

    As a result, he said, secondly, "We are the body of Christ in the world
today -- his hands, his feet, his eyes and ears, his voice."  If the
teaching, preaching and healing ministries of Jesus are not carried on by
the church they will not be done, Soto added, "because the only body Christ
has in the world today is us."

    Thirdly, he continued, a balance between spiritual and social concerns
is "our Reformed tradition."  Noting that John Calvin was teacher, preacher
and civic activist in Geneva, Soto said, "I am proud we are evangelical and
ecumenical, spiritual and passionate about social issues."

    Finally, Soto concluded, "Our partner churches continue to look to us
as an example."  Citing several examples of vital churches in other
countries that have been planted by the PCUSA, he said, "These churches
have learned well -- they look first to Christ, but they also are looking
to us."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>