From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moderator Finds Better Morale in Church

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 20 Jun 1997 21:01:31

20-June-1997
GA97116

              Moderator Finds Better Morale in Church

                       by Nancy Rodman

SYRACUSE--Moderator Patricia G. Brown, during a brief press conference
Friday, acknowledged an improved climate in the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.) which she traced to the leadership of Frank Diaz and Youngil Cho,
respectively interim director and chair of the General Assembly Council
(GAC).  "We are loving each other as family, able to agree to disagree, and
therefore better able to move along with the business of God."

    Asked about the Assembly's approval of the Lutheran-Reformed Dialogue,
Brown replied, "I'm ecstatic!  This is a historical moment that was a long
time coming.  We have many ways to work and celebrate together.  This is a
wonderful move toward unity."

    Brown declined to say that the ecumenical movement is in trouble
following the defeat by the presbyteries of the proposed COCU amendment
this year.  Rather, she said that people are concerned with what is
happening on their particular turf and that is where their energy is
directed.  She sees no move to avoid ecumenical relations.

    Brown chose not to answer questions about Amendment B because the
Assembly had not yet acted on related matters, but she said that the
Assembly is also focused on other issues.  "Yes," she said, "there is talk
about Amendment B, but there is also talk about the Great Ends of the
Church."

    When asked about the Presbyterian Church's goal to reach a 20% increase
in racial ethnic membership by 2005, Brown said that she puts a face on the
challenge.  When racial ethnic members are affirmed by the denomination,
there is a ripple effect that leads to increases in membership and
involvement.

    "I wish I knew!" Brown laughed when asked what her first trip as
moderator will be.  She expects to travel soon to a Native American
celebration and to the Presbyterian Women Triennium in Louisville.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>