From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

James Costen Preaches During Morning Worship

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 20 Jun 1997 21:01:34

2June-1997
GA97108

             James Costen Preaches During Morning Worship

                           by Dee Wade

Syracuse--Reducing a service of worship to words on a page is a little like
describing a sumptuous meal to a friend who was absent from the table.  The
experience doesn't fully translate if you weren't there to take it all in
for yourself.

    If you were at worship on Wednesday morning at the Crouse-Hinds Theatre
at the Mulroy Civic Center, you ingested the sermon of the Rev. James
Costen. You heard him say, "Don't confuse fad with function; don't confuse
rhetoric with reason; don't confuse restructure with revival; don't confuse
busy-ness with business."

    Those lively words could be applied to many situations in the church.
But Costen applied them effectively and eloquently to the matter of worship
itself.  Playing off the day's theme, the maintenance of divine worship
(the third of Six Great Ends of the Church as listed in the first chapter
of The Book Of Order ), Costen's sermon title was "The Perils of Deferred
Maintenance."

    His text was Psalm 84: "How pleasant is your dwelling place, O Lord_"
Humankind is a "worshiping species," said Costen.  He defined worship as
the awareness "that what we know and experience at any given time is not
all there is."  For the Christian, worship is "time when we celebrate the
goodness of God, whose likeness we know in Jesus Christ."  True worship
occurs "where the Gospel is preached with power and conviction." Describing
it as an important business, Costen said, "It is only when we enjoy a vital
worship life that we enjoy a vital Christian experience."

    Costen proclaimed an avoidance of two extremes in the maintenance of
divine worship.  Worship can become so "liturgically structured as to be
schoolish," or it can lapse into a casual informality and become "so
faddish as to be trite."  In all things Costen called for worship to be
taken seriously and its planning to be undertaken thoughtfully and
carefully.  With a verbal dart directed toward those pastors who put in too
little time too late in sermon preparation, he said, "Saturday night
specials are extremely deadly, whether in the ghetto, the suburbs, or the
sanctuary."

    The perils of deferring the maintenance of divine worship are many,
said Costen.  They include a loss of fellowship, of koinonia, of the
gathering of the people of God, allowing for the sharing of true
friendship.  Also lost is an enthusiasm for evangelism.  "People are not
drawn to that which is dead," he declared.  A third factor in peril is
service, or diakonia.

    True worship leads to "service inside and outside of the church. We
learn that a genuinely religious experience can be holding the hand of the
sick, or in many other acts of service."

    Costen called those assembled to understand the church as "the church
for others," a statement derived from Dietrich Bonhoeffer's description of
Jesus Christ as "the man for others."  He closed his sermon with a
statement followed by a question.  "The quality of our worship life demands
our maintenance of it.  The time has come to do it, don't you think?" Those
worshiping with him that day seemed to think that it was.

    Helping Costen serve up the fulsome feast of worship Wednesday morning
included Holly Haile-Davis and Elizabeth Haile, who greeted the worshipers
and led them in an exercise of "community centering" through words, music,
and movement.  Based on a Native American tradition, it was beautifully and
gracefully done.

    Mary Ellen Frackenpohl and James Weldon Johnson called the people to
worship using a piece that worship leaders all over the country would do
well to emulate.  Entitled "Knee-Bowed and Body-Bent," it was interspersed
with sung lines from Psalm 23.

    Amanda Carnie lent her rich and tone-perfect voice to God's praise as
cantor for the day.  Lawrence Moir led the prayers of the people, and
additional music was provided by Alice Dickerson Hatt, pianist, Kim
Palermo, organist, and David Kim, flutist.

    Also present were the members of the Trombone Quartet of S.U.N.Y.
College at Potsdam, NY, and members of the Northern New York PresbyBrass,
Arthur Frackenpohl, director.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>