From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly Approves "Fidelity and Integrity" Amendment

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 20 Jun 1997 21:05:13

20-June-1997
GA97122

          Assembly Approves "Fidelity and Integrity" Amendment

     Presbyteries asked to approve major revision of former Amendment B

                          by Jerry Van Marter

SYRACUSE--By an even greater margin than last year's General Assembly
passed Amendment B -- the commonly-called "fidelity and chastity" amendment
-- the 209th General Assembly today voted to send a far less restrictive
amendment to the presbyteries that would replace the controversial measure.

    The vote on the proposed revision to what is now G-6.0106b was 328-217,
or 60 percent to 40 percent.  Amendment B passed last year's Assembly by a
57 percent to 43 percent margin.

    It was adopted after the Assembly rejected by a 309-227 vote a minority
report from seven members of its Assembly Committee on the "Book of Order"
reaffirming the passage of Amendment B and pledging Presbyterians "to walk
together through the grief which is felt by many in the Presbyterian Church
and do all we can to embrace each other with the grace of Jesus Christ."

    The new amendment, which now goes to the presbyteries for their
affirmative or negative votes during the coming year:

    * requires church officers to "lead a life in obedience to Jesus Christ
under the authority of scripture" rather than in Amendment B's "in
obedience to scripture";

    * requires them to "be instructed by the historic confessional
standards of the church" rather than Amendment B's "in conformity" to them;

    * requires them to "demonstrate fidelity and integrity in marriage or
singleness, and in all relationships of life" rather than living "in
fidelity within the covenant of marriage of a man and a woman or chastity
in singleness"; and

    * states that "candidates for ordained office shall acknowledge their
own sinfulness, their need for repentance, and their reliance on the grace
and mercy of God to fulfill the duties of their office" rather than
Amendment B's "persons refusing to repent of any self-acknowledged practice
which the confessions call sin shall not be ordained and/or installed" as
church officers.

    Debate on the proposed amendment, which during the Assembly has
received the moniker "Amendment B-plus," was dignified, thoughtful,
passionate and long.  Scores of commissioners were still lined up to speak
when debate was ended.

    Assembly Committee on the "Book of Order" chair the Rev. Laird Stuart
of San Francisco Presbytery insisted that the new amendment "affirms
authoritative interpretation [barring the ordination of sexually-active gay
and lesbian Presbyterians]...and affirms the right of the denomination to
set ordination standards."  However, Stuart continued, "Out of what we have
heard came our conclusion that something needs to be done.  The turmoil and
discord [following the passage of Amendment B] is not going to go away and
our only way forward is to find something more healing and reconciling."

    The Rev. Dale Depue of Indian Nations Presbytery, an author of the
minority report, disagreed.  "We have been studying this issue for 20 years
and the passage of Amendment B was carefully and prayerfully made," he
said.  "The church has spoken clearly and definitively."  Then, reading
from the text of the minority report, Depue said, "Rather than trying to
amend G-0106b, it is imperative that we find a way to love, support and
promote healing among those who have faithfully followed the leading of the
Holy Spirit in their lives and found themselves holding strongly
conflicting positions."

    Robert Hammock, a Theological Student Advisory Delegate from Princeton
Theological Seminary, echoed Depue's concerns.  "Do we trust our
presbyteries?" he asked.  "Their will be greater division in our church if
we don't respect the vote [on Amendment B]."

    But Margaret Elliott of Salem Presbytery said, "People are leaving the
church already [because of the passage of Amendment B].  And the Rev. Judy
Hoffhine, a pastoral counselor who works with persons with HIV/AIDS, said
that since the passage of Amendment B "I have had to work three times as
hard to convince them that my church cares."

    The Rev. Steve Stelle of Maumee Valley Presbytery, arguing against the
new amendment, pleaded for peace.  "The church will suffer if this fight
continues -- can't we have one year of peace?"

    The Rev. Christine Chakoian of Chicago Presbytery countered that peace
is not possible as long as Amendment B is on the books.  "I had hoped that
Amendment B would settle the issue, but it has only deepened the turmoil."

    The Rev. Breck Castleman complained that the language of the new
amendment is too vague.  "The meaning of `fidelity in singleness', for
example, is unclear," he argued.  "This amendment will not lead us into the
light but into the fog."

    But the Rev. Sylvia Edwards of Pueblo Presbytery called the new
amendment "grace-filled."  The amendment, she replied, "goes to the heart
of the gospel, honoring marriage and other relationships and offering
dignity to all Presbyterians while we continue to discuss and discern God's
will on this issue."

    G-6.0106b (formerly Amendment B)
    Those who are called to office in the church are to lead a life in
obedience to Scripture and in conformity to the historic confessional
standards of the church.  Among these standards is the requirement to live
either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a
woman (W-4.9001) or chastity in singleness.  Persons refusing to repent of
any self-acknowledged practice which the confessions call sin shall not be
ordained and/or installed as deacons, elders or ministers of the Word and
Sacrament.

    Proposed amendment
    Those who are called to office in the church are to lead a life in
obedience to Jesus Christ, under the authority of Scripture and instructed
by the historic confessional standards of the church.  Among these
standards is the requirement to demonstrate fidelity and integrity in
marriage or singleness, and in all relationships of life.  Candidates for
ordained office shall acknowledge their own sinfulness, their need for
repentance, and their reliance on the grace and mercy of God to fulfill the
duties of their office.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>