From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Sabbath of Support for Burned Churches

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org
Date 23 Jun 1997 17:29:09

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: Wendy S. McDowell, NCC, 212-870-2227
Internet: carol_fouke.parti@ecunet.org

NCC6/19/97             FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SABBATH OF SUPPORT FOR BURNED HOUSES OF WORSHIP SET FOR JUNE
27-29; S.C., OTHER ECUMENICAL EFFORTS MOVE TO LONG-TERM
ANTI-RACISM WORK

 COLUMBIA, S.C., June 19 ---- What started a year ago as
a weekend of worship and prayer for those suffering from
attacks on their houses of worship has evolved into an
extensive anti-racism initiative.

One year ago, the South Carolina Christian Action
Council, located in the state with the highest number of
church burnings, initiated a "Sabbath of Support" weekend
for attacked houses of worship.  The idea was picked up and
adapted by ecumenical and interfaith councils across the
United States.  Congregations hung pieces of charred lumber
by their door, held vigils, recruited volunteers to rebuild
burned churches and took up special offerings.

This year, churches across the country again will pray
for an end to hate and will show their solidarity with
burned and vandalized churches, synagogues, mosques and
temples in many creative ways.

Equally as important as these observances is the
ongoing creative work faith communities are doing to fight
racism and hate where they live.  The planning of last
year's "Sabbath of Support" was the genesis of a "Sabbath of
Support Project" (SOS Project) in South Carolina that moves
beyond reactive prayer to active prevention in both practice
and attitude.  As such, the South Carolina experience
illustrates what already has happened in many local,
regional and state ecumenical groups around the country
where congregants are learning to speak against racism and
hate, not only in a one-time prayer service but in all areas
of their lives year-round.

According to the Rev. John Boonstra, Executive Minister
of the Washington Association of Churches, Seattle, and
President of the National Council of Churches Ecumenical
Networks Working Group, "a lot of local councils have done
immediate work assisting churches in rebuilding while state
bodies are doing long-term systemic work against racism and
building significant partnerships."  But, he said, "at its
heart, all of this kind of work is local."

 Following are just a few of the anti-racism initiatives
going on at local and state levels, including the South
Carolina story.  Please contact your local ecumenical and
interfaith councils for planned Sabbath of Support
observances, rebuilding experiences and their ongoing work
against hate and racism in your area.

Beyond Bricks and Mortar: S.C. Christian Action Council
Starts Anti-Racism Project

 "Last year, the Sabbath of Support was planned in
response to the rash of church burnings (against Black and
multiracial churches) and a way for the worshipping
community to respond in solidarity," said Julia Sibley,
Director of the Sabbath of Support for the South Carolina
Christian Action Council.   "Out of that experience came
this project to address race relations from a more systemic
point of view so that we are not only working on bricks and
mortar but on root causes."

Through gifts from the Roman Catholic Diocese of
Pittsburgh and other ecumenical and civic groups in
Southwest Pennsylvania and from the Presiding Bishop's Fund
of the Episcopal Church, Ms. Sibley was hired as a part-time
and then a full-time staff person and multifaceted plans
began to form.

In recent years, South Carolina has had the highest
number of Black and multiracial church burnings of any state
- 34 since October 1991 - according to the Center for
Democratic Renewal, a group based in Atlanta that tracks
hate crimes.

To deal with practical arson prevention, one of the
first projects of the SOS Project addressed the insurance
and protection of churches through workshops in the six
jurisdictional conferences of the African Methodist
Episcopal Church in South Carolina.

However, with the Governor's announcement in November
1996 to support transferring the Confederate battle flag
from atop the Statehouse dome, that issue became a focus of
the project.  The SOS Project organized a Witness for
Reconciliation which brought 500 religious leaders from
across the state to gather in a silent circle of love and
support around the current site of the Legislature.  The
group also issued a statement signed by 700 religious
leaders and run as a full-page advertisement in three major
South Carolina newspapers calling for the Legislature to
take seriously the call to transfer the flag.

The SOS Project also has hosted the first gathering of
a statewide network of human relations organizations and
will compile a resource directory from that meeting.  The
latest SOS Project endeavor involves the establishment of
Bi-racial Task Forces in each of the South Carolina public
high schools.  With other partners, the SOS Project
sponsored a "Unity Rally" in March for interested students
that drew a good response. To follow-up, there will be a
four-day training institute at the College of Charleston
this summer "so that students can work on a peer level in
conflict resolution and anti-racism," Ms. Sibley said.  "We
hope to keep replicating this throughout all the high
schools in South Carolina and think it will make a big
difference."

A Tale of Two Cities: Springfield, Mass., Church Council
Responds to Church Burnings

One of the new relationships Ms. Sibley highlights when
she talks about South Carolina is with a local church
council "up north" in Massachusetts.  When the Church
Council of Greater Springfield received the National Council
of Churches/Church World Service appeal about the church
burnings, it responded with fund-raising, advocacy through
the local congressional representative and with a press
conference.  But it did not stop there.

According to the Rev. Ann Geer, Executive Director of
the Church Council of Greater Springfield, "We wanted to
become more personally involved with a church."  Rev. Geer
gathered African American pastors from member churches and
found a local connection to Rosemary Baptist Church in
Barnwell, S.C.

The Rev. Morris Stimage-Norwood, an African American
Presbyterian pastor who had only recently moved from
Columbia, S.C., to Springfield, Mass., traveled to Rosemary
Baptist Church with Rev. Geer and her husband in July 1996.
Immediately, said Rev. Geer, "We knew this was where God
wanted us to be."  The Springfield ecumenical council made a
commitment to rebuild the church, and did so by forming
coalitions in Springfield and with South Carolina partners.
They went beyond churches to include interfaith and
community groups such as local colleges, the United Way and
Urban League.

In January of this year, Revs. Stimage-Norwood and Geer
went back and helped to get together a concomitant coalition
in the Barnwell area which included businesses, colleges,
community organizations, and other faith groups, including
the majority denomination in the state, the Southern Baptist
Convention.

Drawing on its four-year-long experience with study
circles to address racism and with pairing congregations
across racial and religious lines, the Church Council of
Greater Springfield has been sending a rebuilding team every
week to Barnwell.  Each team of 12 people is racially and
religiously integrated.  They not only fly together, work
together and eat together, but also meet together on Sunday,
Tuesday and Thursday evenings for frank discussions about
racism.

Upon completion of the rebuilt Rosemary Baptist Church,
due in August, Rev. Geer and her husband will work on
training people in Barnwell in the study circle technique
and introduce a new guide, "When a Church is Burned in Our
Town - Guide for Community Dialogue and Problem Solving."
Meanwhile, back home, the Church Council of Greater
Springfield will be embarking on city-wide study circles
that involve not only churches and the interfaith community,
but schools, elected officials, colleges and neighborhood
groups.

"This is a `tale of two cities' in a sense," Rev. Geer
said.  "As both communities have bonded together, we have
realized that we are dealing with the same issues (in the
South and the North)."  And in both cities, Rev. Geer
reports, "Folks who have lived in the same town are now
establishing dialogues that are leading into friendships."

Minnesota Anti-Racism Initiative Stresses Confession,
Accountability

The idea of replicating and expanding an educational
anti-racism program has also been important to the work of
the Minnesota Council of Churches, Minneapolis, which has
had an ongoing initiative.

In May of this year, the Minnesota Churches Anti-Racism
Initiative (MCARI) marked its fourth anniversary.  In 1993,
the Minnesota Council of Churches (MCC) endorsed MCARI as a
statewide initiative.  With the assistance of Crossroads
Ministry in Chicago, MCC staff and volunteers began to work
with member denominations and congregations throughout the
state.  In 1994, three church councils - the state,
Minneapolis and St. Paul groups - merged their anti-racism
efforts into MCARI with staffing through the Tri-Council
Coordinating Commission.

Four years of anti-racism education, training and
organizing in Minnesota have resulted in 3,000 people
receiving some kind of anti-racism training, according to
the Rev. Peg Chemberlin, Executive Director of the Minnesota
Council of Churches.  These programs include one to three-
hour introductions to MCARI's work as well as longer, more
intensive one-day and three-day programs.

"We wanted to be clear (in all the programs) that this
is not multicultural training but anti-racism work, which
includes a power and privilege analysis," Rev. Chemberlin
said.  "This has meant that we have done our own
institutional analysis about the ways our agencies have
embodied racism, albeit unintentionally."  All of the board
and leadership of the Minnesota Council of Churches, the
Greater Minneapolis Council of Churches and the Tri-Council
Coordinating Commission went through the longer training,
she said.

Rev. Chemberlin said the one thing she often does not
hear in discussions about race, including in church and
ecumenical circles, is a "call for confession on the part of
the dominant culture."  She said the MCARI program operates
on the assumption that in order for there to be any kind of
reconciliation, there first has to be analysis and
accountability.  "When we stay only in a direct service
role, we miss accountability which is so central to anti-
racism work," she said.

Rev. Chemberlin related the need for accountability to
the ecumenical spirit.  "In a fragmented, consumer culture,
the ecumenical community says we are still related," she
said.  "Building communities in which we are accountable to
each other takes a long, long time."  She said the changes
with this kind of work are slower and more subtle.  "White
people who are part of the project begin to see the world
differently.  They begin to see racism where they hadn't
seen it before."

One program that merged into MCARI was the Ecumenical
Partners Program of the Greater Minneapolis Council of
Churches.  This program has helped overcome racial isolation
in the community by joining together predominantly African
American and predominantly European American congregations
in partnership, building the kind of long-term relationships
Rev. Chemberlin believes are important.

Rev. Chemberlin said that following anti-racism
training, white people learn to "live our lives as
recovering racists.  Unless we are vigilant personally and
institutionally, racism is going to happen."

The MCARI initiative includes an apprentice program for
trainers and is also in the process of developing a web page
which will provide a warehouse of anti-racism education.

The attempt in Minnesota "to build Martin Luther King's
beloved community," according to Rev. Chemberlin, is playing
out on a very local level in St. Paul.  There, two Baptist
churches, one white and one Black, are struggling to unite.
Both of the pastors have been involved with MCARI and want
the unity of their churches to be authentic and honest.

Racial Justice Means Economic Justice for the North Carolina
Council of Churches

For the North Carolina Council of Churches, to be
honest and authentic has meant to concentrate on economic
justice issues.  The Rev. Collins Kilburn, Executive
Director of the North Carolina Council of Churches, is quick
to point out that Martin Luther King, Jr.'s emphasis at the
end of his life was the Poor People's Campaign, which called
for governmental action to help the poor.

"Our focus prior to, during and after the burning of
Black churches is going to be on the economic or systemic
aspect of racism as distinct from the attitudinal
dimension," the Rev. Kilburn said.  "We try to define racism
in a way that is broad and includes the fact that half of
minority children live in poverty and the economic gaps
between Blacks and whites haven't changed in 20 years."

On September 16, 1996, the North Carolina Council of
Churches held a "Day of Conscience" on the anniversary of
the Birmingham church bombing which included preaching,
workshops and a march in downtown Raleigh, the North
Carolina state capital.  "It was a good event that got some
attention and brought Black and white church leaders
together," Rev. Kilburn reported.

On a long-term basis, the North Carolina Council of
Churches will focus on systemic racism through publications
and conferences.  Every year around the Martin Luther King,
Jr., Holiday Observance, the Racial Justice Committee of the
North Carolina Council of Churches sends out a publication
detailing the economic disparities between Blacks and whites
and calling for "quality education, job training, job
creation, decent housing and basic health care for all."

The letter says that "the nation, dominated by white
Americans, had not been willing to get on with the second
phase of the (Civil Rights) movement."

"I am skeptical about approaches which elevate how nice
it would be to all hold hands together and that do not call
for collective, governmental action to solve our problems,"
Rev. Kilburn said.

In these efforts in response to burned churches and to
work against racism, local and state ecumenical councils are
"bringing a spiritual voice to community development," in
the words of the Rev. Boonstra.

Rev. Boonstra said he hopes that efforts like the NCC's
Burned Churches Project, Phase II, will bring together
ecumenical groups not only to share what they are doing
locally for racial and economic justice but "to contribute
to the effort to come up with a national strategy" around
these issues.  "The challenge is with us as local and
regional bodies to pressure our local and state governments"
for just policies, he said, but also "to use our local
experiences to contribute to the national discussion."

-end-
 -0-