From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Gay Religious Leader Calls On UN To Promote "Gender Parity"

From UfmccHq@aol.com
Date 24 Jun 1997 17:17:02

The following is the text of a letter released today (June 24, 1997) by the
Rev. Elder Troy D. Perry, moderator of the Universal Fellowship of
Metropolitan Community Churches, to Kofi Annan, Secretary General of the
United Nations.

TEXT OF LETTER:

The Honorable Kofi Annan
Secretary-General
United Nations Secretariat
New York, NY 10017

Mr. Secretary-General:

On behalf of the members of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan
Community Churches, I salute you for your ongoing commitment to structural
reform of the United Nations.

This process of reform offers an unprecedented opportunity to promote women's
human rights and to increase progress toward gender parity within the United
Nations organization.

Therefore, I warmly encourage you to implement the goals of the Beijing
Platform for Action as part of the ongoing reform process in the following
manner:

1.  Strengthen the agency committed to the advancement of women within the
Secretariat by increasing its resources and authority;

2.  Provide a significant women's structure for each of the major operational
units of the United Nations;

3.  Increase the numbers of women who are appointed to be UN resident
coordinators in order to implement the UN's commitment to gender parity at
every level of operation.

The dawn of a new millennium offers a unique and historic opportunity for the
UN to give appropriate prominence to the rights of women — both through the
institutional structure of the UN, as well as through its ongoing programs.

The 42,000 world-wide members of the Universal Fellowship of Metropolitan
Community Churches share a deep and abiding commitment to social justice on
behalf of all people. Our members join with me in assuring you of our prayers
and goodwill as you continue the process of reform within the United Nations.

In Christ,
(The Rev. Elder) Troy D. Perry
Founder and Moderator

For Additional Information, Contact: