From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Mixed emotions at press conference

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Jun 1997 21:23:34

21-Jun-1997
GA97126         Mixed Emotions at Press Conference
SYRACUSE--Members of Presbyterians for Lesbian and Gay Concerns
(PLGC) and a member of the board of Presbyterians for Renewal (PFR)
held a joint press conference shortly after the Assembly acted to
send the presbyteries a less restrictive version of Amendment B, now
G-6.0106b.
     Scott Anderson, Laurene Lafontaine, and Jane Spahr, of the PLGC,
were pleased with the vote while cautioning that the action is "a
mid-course correction, not a stunning reversal," according to
Anderson.  James Logan, of PFR, on the other hand, expressed concern
for the peace and unity of the church, while Lafontaine called the
action "a necessary small step toward justice and reconciliation."
     Asked if the motion to amend G-6.0106b was part of the PLGC's
program, Anderson said, "No, we sat in the committee room like
anybody else.  The committee (the Assembly Committee on the Book of
Order) was in charge.  We didn't know it would happen."  Concurring
with Anderson, Lafontaine said she didn't know what to expect coming
into Syracuse, but the Assembly's action "is a note of grace."
Anderson said the action doesn't change the status of gays and
lesbians in terms of ordination.  "It is a nuance, not so harsh, more
gracious," he said.
     Logan said that governing bodies are not an exact reflection of
the general populace of the church.  He is pleased that the Assembly
is less contentious this year than last, but he is concerned about
the issues.  "With foundational issues, it is almost impossible to
find common ground."  He expressed concern for the financial health
of the denomination, noting that "funds began flowing in after the
passage of Amendment B."
     Spahr responded that when other churches have withheld funds
when dissatisfied with Assembly actions, the More Light churches
continue to pay their per capita apportionments and mission pledges.
"Those prohibited from ordination are giving the money," she said.
"Thousands have left because of the Presbyterian Church's stand
against ordination.  Be careful when we talk about financial
attrition.  Be fairminded.  Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered
people want fidelity and integrity as much as heterosexuals.  We are
for fidelity, for commitment, for integrity in relationships," Spahr
said.
     There are fundamental issues on both sides, said Logan as he
noted the membership losses of the last several decades.  There are
issues people feel passionately about.  "I fear greatly that there
are going to be Presbyterians on both sides with the best intentions
who have no more stomach for this issue," Logan said.  He has heard
more talk of leaving the church at this Assembly than ever before.
"Until we can agree on the fundamental issues it will be hard to talk
about the Great Ends," he said.  "It's hard to do when I have a
fundamental disagreement on issues.  It's hard to find how we can
work together.  We'll continue to see a widened rift."
     The question, "What will be different if the amendment is
approved by the presbyteries?" elicited responses from all four
panelists.  Lafontaine said that the amendment calls for integrity in
all relationships, and includes the whole Presbyterian family.  "It's
not exactly what we want," she said, "but it's a step in the right
direction."
     Logan said that he is concerned that this is an incremental step
and that it waters down the historical standards of the church.  He
said that the amendment "sends a fuzzy message to young people" when
clarity is needed.
     Lafontaine said that Presbyterians have incredible breadth and
depth and she is saddened that "we can't get along because of who we
are.  The church has called me to serve.  We're serving the faith and
will continue to serve.  The ordination of women didn't happen
overnight.  We're in for the long haul," she said.
     "Jim (Logan) finds homosexuality a sin, we find it a gift,"
Spahr said.  "How can we share our faith together?  It's our very
being you're saying no to."
     "Is my sexual practice an essential tenet of the reformed
faith?"  Anderson asked.  "I don't see it as a Christian fundamental,
my sexuality.  Our polity is set up to put us in conflict with each
other.  That's the way we are as Presbyterians.  The Holy Spirit is
always moving, always challenging us to grow."
     To compare the issue of the ordination of homosexuals to the
ordination of women is like comparing apples and oranges," Logan
said.  He finds a better analogy in the Old School/New School split.
He is concerned and even frightened for the future of he church.
"The issue won't be solved easily," Logan said.

Nancy Rodman

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>