From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Commentary: "Arranging For Joy"

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Jun 1997 21:23:46

21-June-1997

                 Commentary: "Arranging For Joy"

                     by the Rev. Virgil Cruz

(Editor's note: This commentary was commissioned by the General Assembly
Newsroom as a companion piece to a commentary by the Rev. Robert Browne.
The two commentaries were intended to be released simultaneously, but due
to a computer glitch in the newsroom, the posting of this commentary was
delayed.  The General Assembly Newsroom apologies for any mistaken
impression this delay may have created.)

SYRACUSE--In the Reformed Church in America, with whom we Presbyterians
enjoy excellent relations, the Christian life is sometimes characterized as
"righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."  A minister in that
communion once characterized their own General Assembly (General Synod) as
a time of "arranging for joy."  (Dr. James Cook) And in typical Dutch
Calvinist fashion, he proceeded to draw parallels between the Incarnation,
the body of Jesus Christ, the gospel of God in human form, and the
machinery and structure of the church.  And he concludes that "a
structureless Christianity is as unthinkable as a bodiless Christ," even
though both realities possess limitation and weakness.
     Perhaps this high view of G.A. provides a clue as to why so many of us
Presbyterians - it is not sufficient to dismiss us as G.A. Junkies -
receive some special nourishment from being here, nourishment which may
even be tethered to Great End no.  2,  The shelter, nurture and spiritual
fellowship of the children of God.
     Additional specific contributions to this "end" come from such
elements as the opening worship of G.A., the daily devotional services, the
witness of the International partners in mission, the perception of the
certain conviction that a particular bit of work under focus rightfully
belongs to the ministry of the church, and especially from the communion of
the saints, i.e., serial reunions with old and valued friends, and the
excitement of initiating promising new relationships.  In light of these
optimistic even wonderful perceptions of G.A., the prospect of possible
deep disagreement, rancor, and even rupture of ties that bind, casts a
fore-boding shadow.

     I find myself in a rather peculiar position; I will be departing from
Syracuse and actually leaving the country before this Assembly closes.  I
will not play the prophet but rather have decided to mention a resolution
or two I chose to follow in my church life during the next year or so.
     Just a brief word of rationale.  Of course, the issue in our church
which has the greatest potential for setting off a fire-fight is Overture
B.  Many had expressed their firm wish to hear from the presbyteries on the
point of ordination of gays and lesbians.  It has also become an unwritten
but widely held conclusion, I believe, that after this happenes, the entire
matter will be laid to rest for a time.  As a result of this past year's
actions, I find myself fervently hoping that our church will responsibly
move forward.  This does not commit proponents of any position to perpetual
silence.  However, instead of continuing in confrontational stances on
opposite sides of a regrettable, very destructive chasm, we can try
another, more promising approach.
     For one personal resolution, I do intend to make work of studying The
Great Ends of the Church.  Some presbyteries, thankfully, have conducted
responsible and very helpful investigations of the sexuality issue.  The
attempts of others, in all honesty, do not really merit the term "fair
study."  But it is my sincere and passionate hope that studying now the
"Ends" will move us away from those polemic strategies of looking for the
weak points in the other side, all the while searching for the most
forceful way of presenting ours.
     Instead, we can focus in a clear and disciplined way upon this
stimulating statement of the reasons for the existence of the church and
the nature of its mission.  Obtaining a fuller grasp of our faith
traditions will be enormously empowering, I am totally convinced. For those
who have come to the Presbyterian Church from elsewhere, and for those who,
frankly, have never acquired such orientation, this study will constitute a
long-awaited introduction to several dimensions of Reformed Christianity!
     As a child of the old UPNA, I'm pleased that this important portion of
our tradition still lives and may have an increasingly important impact on
our reunited church today.  My study will be significantly enhanced by the
volume written by national staffer, Dr. Joseph Small, coordinator for
theology.
     I have also secured a copy of pertinent material assembled and
annotated by Dr.  Joseph Keesecker.  The former leads us through a fresh
and helpful exposition of the document.  The latter removes its
Melchizedekian character by including a bit of background and history of
the statement.
     Another personal resolution concerns the matter of Christian decorum.
In Baltimore, in 1991, following that Assembly's action on the Human
Sexuality Report, this prayer was offered:
     Gracious God, as we meet here, we stand firmly in the tradition which
stretches back to the first Council of the Church in Jerusalem.  Gathered
in that assembly and led by the Spirit, your people confronted and overcame
divisions which then threatened the community of faith with disintegration.
     We thank you, Lord, that your Spirit still leads and guides and heals
today! We ask that your Holy Spirit will now hover over us and bring
healing and reconciliation to us Help us to see each other as family; help
us to continue to talk and study and learn,
     And may we never forget: that which unites us is far, far greater than
anything that threatens to separate us!  We gratefully share one Lord, one
faith, one baptism, and one God.  There is no place for strife and hurtful
words.  You call us to love and forbearance and mutual respect.  During the
months ahead, empower us, Great God, to work for peace, unity, justice, and
purity in our church.  In the name of Jesus Christ we pray. Amen.
     Regarding the crucial importance of seeing each other as family, Rev.
Dr. Jane Sparr has helped me personally immensely.  At the Milwaukee
Assembly, I impulsively attended the worship service at which she was
scheduled to preach.  The sanctuary was nicely filled and the congregation
was comprised, I hastily judged, of gays and lesbians I knew along with
recognized supporters.
     I was not prepared, however, for what came next.  From all sectors of
the church, smiles and nods were directed toward me.  And after the
service, Rev. Jane gave me a firm, accepting hug.  I said, "Don't forget, I
am president of Presbyterians for Renewal and know clearly my position on
this issue which is so vital for you."  She answered without a second's
hesitation: "You are Virgil Cruz, my brother in Christ."
     That moment has determined the nature of our subsequent contact.  And
I hope that in the course of my upcoming analysis of the Great Ends, my
sister Jane and I will have opportunity to dialogue about their
interpretation and implication, even though we are fully aware of the
profound and far-reaching differences of opinions we respectively possess
regarding human sexuality.
     Finally, I want to paraphrase my RCA colleague again on the Assembly
as a means of arranging for joy.  Who knows from which part of this church
gathering, from which report, from which plenary, will emerge new things
which will move the commissioners and staff (and the whole church
ultimately) to sing with the writer Auden's shepherds:
     Music and sudden light
     Have interrupted our routine tonight.

     It is my hope that when this Assembly ends, all commissioners and
attendees will return to their churches and presbyteries determined to
worship and debate and study and live in light of that Baltimore prayer.
With God's help, may it be so.  Dr. Virgil Cruz, Professor of New
Testament, Emeritus, Louisville Seminary

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>