From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran-Reformed Dialogue

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 28 Jun 1997 13:43:11

25-June-1997
97255

               Why the Lutheran-Reformed Dialogue
                   Is So Important to Lutherans

                         by Mark Baldwin

CHICAGO--The ecumenical proposals to be voted on this summer have grabbed
attention in all corners of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
because they cut to the heart of Lutheran identity.

     One question has dominated the debate: Do the Reformed churches really
believe that Jesus is bodily present in the eucharistic bread and wine?  Of
secondary concern is whether the United Church of Christ, a party to the
"Formula of Agreement" with the Reformed churches, is a reliable ecumenical
partner.  These concerns have collided head-on with the ELCA's official
ecumenical goal of pursuing full communion wherever possible.

     "Our basic theological understanding is that while we ourselves are a
church that preaches the gospel, we're not the only church that has the
gospel," said Edgar R. Trexler, editor of the denomination's monthly
magazine, "The Lutheran."  "It's built into our confessional documents that
we will seek the closest possible ecumenical relationships."  A no vote by
the ELCA Churchwide Assembly in August could have dire consequences for the
church's ecumenical efforts, Trexler said. "When is the next time these
partner churches would trust us again?" he said.

     The anxiety about entering full communion with the churches of the
Reformed tradition -- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), UCC and Reformed Church
in America -- centers on the Reformed view of Jesus' presence in the
eucharistic elements.

     "Everybody believes Christ is present in communion," said Paull
Spring, ELCA bishop in northwestern Pennsylvania.  "The question is what
way he's present.   In, with and under' is our teaching.  I haven't hear
too many Presbyterians say that.  It's a matter of how seriously you take
that teaching."

     The Rev. Frank Senn, the ecumenical officer for the ELCA's Metro
Chicago Synod, said: "There are many in the Calvinist tradition who say we
experience Christ in the sharing of the meal.  But I can't imagine any
Calvinist saying Christ is present in the bread and wine."  Senn advocates
an interim agreement with the Reformed, similar to the 1982 interim
eucharistic sharing agreement with the Episcopal Church.  An interim
agreement would provide a chance "to get to know these people better" and
improve the understanding of the Reformed teaching about the eucharist.

     That line of argument is dismissed as arrogant by other Lutheran
thinkers.

     "Some in the Lutheran Church believe that unless other Christians use
the exact same language we can't go forward," said Daniel Martensen, ELCA
director of ecumenical affairs and assistant to the presiding bishop.
"It's typical of Lutherans.  All of us have always taken theological
accuracy with great seriousness."  The reason, Martensen said, is that
Lutheranism defines itself not only in light of the biblical creeds, but
also according to the historic Lutheran confessions, particularly the
Augsburg Confession of 1530 and Luther's Small Catechism, which hold
unequivocally that Christ is bodily present in the bread and wine.
"Lutherans are known for testing everything by our confessional heritage,"
he said.

     Senn frets about the potential impact a Lutheran-Reformed
full-communion agreement would have on other ecumenical relationships.
"I'm in the camp that says our relationship with the Roman Catholic Church
has to be the most important agenda for us," he said.  "We're the ones who
parted company in the 16th century, and we're the ones that must get back
together again.  The risk is that we give away the whole store for the sake
of fellowship with the Reformed and have nothing left in store for our
ecumenical dealings with the Roman Catholics."

     The Lutheran-Episcopal Concordat of Agreement raises an equally
emotional issue in some corners of the ELCA with its requirement that ELCA
Lutherans gradually adopt the historic catholic episcopate.  That issue
also clouds Consultation on Church Union (COCU) discussions, which involve
the Episcopals, Presbyterians and UCCs.  Adoption of a specific church
organization would represent a sea change for the Lutheran tradition, which
has always maintained that any kind of structure will do as long as it
serves the gospel.

     "Lutherans don't build their worlds around church order," said David
L. Tiede, president of Luther Northwestern Theological Seminary in St.
Paul, Minn.  "The Presbyterians don't require that we adopt the presbytery.
Our own confessions say we need to adapt to the human institutions that
will make Christ known."

     Lutherans' principal concern, Tiede said, is that the church be an
effective witness.  "People aren't really persuaded that preoccupation with
church order is going to yield mission," he said.  "This isn't an
anti-bishop thing per se."

     The congregationally centered UCC, which traditionally shies away from
rigid doctrine, presents another set of problems.

     "They are not able to bind the conscience of ministers and
congregations in terms of confessional touchstones," Senn said.  That
creates problems regarding the interchangeability of clergy contemplated in
the Lutheran-Reformed proposal.  "If we're back to the point of selective
fellowship -- this minister teaches the way we do, this one doesn't -- the
point of full communion is missed."

     Another sore spot, though not part of the official dialogues, is the
UCC's willingness to ordain gays and lesbians.  "Among people in the pews
there are concerns about ordaining practicing homosexuals," Bishop Spring
said.  "When people mention the UCC, it's what comes up."

     The $64,000 question is whether any of these issues should be allowed
to divide the church.

     Martin E. Marty, a professor of Christian history at the University of
Chicago and an ELCA pastor, believes they should not.  He compares this
ecumenical summer to the early church.

     "You had different theories of the atonement and the sacraments and
different church structures," Marty said.  "You had agreement on one thing:
The risen Christ is the exalted Lord."

(Mark Baldwin is a professor at the Medill School of Journalism of
Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill., and is a member of Bethlehem
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Chicago.)

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>