From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

CHURCH OF ENGLAND HOUSE OF BISHOPS

From a.whitefield@quest.org.uk
Date 30 Jun 1997 03:40:47

June 20, 1997
ANGLICAN COMMUNION NEWS SERVICE
Canon James Rosenthal
Director of Communications, The Anglican Communion
London, England

ACNS 1264

CHURCH OF ENGLAND HOUSE OF BISHOPS
Synod Debate on'Issues in Human Sexuality'

SPECIAL TO ACNS    Note to other General Synod members

(ACNS) The House of Bishops welcomes the opportunity which the
Archdeacon of Wandsworth's motion will provide for the General Synod to
discuss the House's statement 'Issues in Human Sexuality'.

The General Synod last debated the matters addressed in the statement in
November 1987. The motion which it then carried is a clear affirmation
of the Church's traditional teaching on the subject.

In 'Issues in Human Sexuality' we sought to explore the implications of
this teaching for human sexuality in its various expressions. We
continue to believe that our statement offers rich material for
reflection and discussion throughout the Church, to which the General
Synod debate will no doubt be a valuable contribution.

Although much of the statement concerns a searching exploration of
scripture, tradition and experience in relation to human sexuality, it
is its chapter on homosexuality which has attracted the most attention.
We repeat the condemnation we have made both then a since of all
homophobic attitudes and behaviour, and our concern that these matters -
on which emotions understandably run high - should be discussed in an
atmosphere of mutual understanding and true Christian charity.

We have worked consistently to foster such a discussion throughout the
Church. The Archdeacon of Wandsworth has indicated that his intention in
bringing forward his motion is to ensure that the General Synod has an
opportunity itself to consider 'Issues in Human Sexuality'. We welcome
that purpose, and hope that the Synod debate will in turn stimulate
further informed discussion in parishes and diocese.

Since the object of the Archdeacon's motion is to encourage that
discussion throughout the Church of 'Issues in Human Sexuality' for
which we ourselves have called, we should not welcome any attempt to
amend the motion either to restate that passed by the Synod in 1987 or
to alter the position it took. The former is, in our view, unnecessary,
as the 1987 motion continues on the record. The latter would be both
unjustified and premature. The Church needs, we judge, an amply
opportunity to reflect further on these matters. A Synod debate in which
differing views were heard without rancour or an attempt to force the
present Synod to take a final stance on the issue, could be a valuable
contribution to that process.

While we wish to reflect carefully on any amendments which may be
tabled, our present intention is, therefore, to oppose any amendments to
the Archdeacon's motion, as these are likely to obscure what we believe,
in our considered judgement, to be right for the Church at the present
time.

We hope that other members of the General Synod, some of whom have
already sought our views, will find it helpful to have this notice of
our intentions in advance of the debate. We assure them and all others
affected of our prayers as the debate approaches.

PRESS RELEASE FROM ACNS

Eucharistic Presidency - a report by the House of Bishops (Church of
England)

The House of Bishops of the Church of England has said no to the
suggestion that lay people might preside at Celebrations of Holy
Communion. While recognising the greatly changed circumstances of the
modern Church and valuing the whole people of God, their report,
Eucharistic Presidency, publishing as a theological statement for study
and reflection, affirms the distinctive ministry of the ordained.

In a wide-ranging review of roles in the life of the Church, the House
of Bishops' Theological Group, chaired by the Bishop of Ely, the Right
Reverend Stephen Sykes, insists that the Church is essentially a
community of people living in relation to each other: "There is no
difference of value or worth of persons before God".

The report concludes that it is not wrong for there to be a diversity of
responsibilities. The whole of the Church and all its members share in
the priesthood of Christ; but leadership in the community is a gift of
God, and the point of ordination is to promote, release and clarify all
other forms of ministry.

The report affirms that, at the Eucharist or Holy Communion, the Holy
Spirit reconstitutes the Church in a particular intense way and the
whole assembly celebrates. The role of the person who presides is to
ensure that the people together properly celebrate the sacrament. So,
the President's task is to be a sign or focus of what the whole Church
ought to be, and to take responsibility for making sure that comes
about.

Therefore, says the report, there is an essential link between
leadership in the community, for which a bishop or priest has been
carefully chosen, and presiding at the Eucharist.

The report was writeen in the light of discussion throughout the
Anglican Communion and recent agreement with other Christian Churches.

The Bishop of Ely says: "It is a substantial contribution that clarifies
the Bishops' views on a controversial matter. I hope it will not only be
welcomed but, after careful study, readily accepted".

Eucharistic Presidency is published by Church House Publishing, price
#5.95, and is available from bookshops including Church House Bookshop,
31 Great Smith Street, London SW1P 3BN, tel 0171-340 0276/77, fax
0171-340 0278