From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Foreigners must Not Interfere in China's Churches

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 09 Aug 1997 10:03:54

23-July-1997
97284

    Foreigners must Not Interfere in China's Churches,
    Officials Say

    by Edmund Doogue
    Ecumenical News International

HONG KONG--Chinese church officials -- from both mainland China and Hong
Kong -- have warned that any attempts by any foreign churches to interfere
with the affairs of Protestant Christians on the Chinese mainland would be
"disastrous."

    Although Christians are only a tiny percentage of China's population of
1.2 billion, the churches there are growing rapidly. On average, three new
or restored church buildings are opened every two days. But at an "Open
Forum on the Church in China," held in Hong Kong in mid-July, church
officials said that pastoral care and promotion of Christianity on the
mainland should remain firmly within the hands of Chinese Christians.

     While the world's interest in Hong Kong -- since its political
reunification with China at the start of July  --  has focused on whether
Hong Kong will retain its democratic freedoms, the forum demonstrated the
concern of mainland Chinese, including Christians,  that Hong Kong could in
fact try to change the rest of China, serving as a Trojan horse by which
the rest of the world might interfere in China's affairs.

    Hong Kong is already a cause of concern for churches on the mainland as
Hong Kong has been used by some religious organizations as a launching pad
for illegal missionary activities inside mainland China.

     Tso Man-king,  general secretary of the Hong Kong Christian Council,
the former colony's main ecumenical body, warned that if "people try to
relate to the church in China without following guidelines and principles,
[this] can lead to disasters."

    Illustrating the risks of involvement by foreign churches in China's
affairs, Tso Man-king said that "negative aspects" of foreign Christian
efforts to evangelize China from the early 19th century had misled "some
Chinese to perceive Christianity as a `foreign religion,' a product of
capitalism and imperialism and maybe militarism as well.  Because of this,
Christianity has not been able to root itself in Chinese soil and culture."

    Bao Jia-Yuan, associate general secretary in Nanjing of the China
Christian Council (CCC), the nation's main Protestant organization, said
the  19th-century Protestant missions were "unfortunately ... associated
with Western colonial expansion. After 100 years of effort by missionaries
supported by 70 different denominations, there were [fewer] than 1 million
Christians before the liberation in 1949."

    Bao said the "withdrawal of the missionaries and the great changes in
society after liberation challenged the Protestant church leaders to make
the church truly indigenous."

    For this purpose they developed a Chinese Christian philosophy
emphasizing "Chinese selfhood," which had enabled the church to survive and
grow in China.

    "We believe that there's a time for missionary activity, and there is a
time when it is no longer appropriate," Bao Jia-Yuan said.

    Bao  stressed that the CCC tried to make Christians law-abiding
citizens.  "The churches try to encourage our members to be good Christians
and good citizens. One should stick to the Bible's teaching and raise one's
spirituality while living out a Christian life in the society. ... We
should love our country and love our church as well," he said.

    The "Open Forum on the Church in China" was organized by the Lutheran
World Federation as part of its Ninth Assembly, which was held at the Hong
Kong Convention Center. Also taking part in the forum was an assistant
Roman Catholic bishop of Hong Kong, John Tong Hon, and Chen Xida, a leading
official in the CCC's commission for overseas relations.

    Both the CCC, a Protestant "postdenominational" body that functions as
both church and council, and the government-sanctioned Chinese Catholic
Patriotic Association officially stress the principle of "nonsubordination"
to churches outside China -- meaning that they neither recognize nor are
subject to foreign church heads such as the Pope.

    Bao Jia-Yuan said that the CCC was willing to be related to any
overseas churches or church organizations that respected the "Chinese
selfhood" principles.  The CCC is linked to the World Council of Churches
in Geneva and cooperates with United Bible Societies.

    "We don't want to control you; please don't intend to control us," Chen
Xida said during the forum. "We exist as a Chinese church. We want to have
our space."

    However, in answer to a question at the forum,  Bishop Tong said that
for Catholics in China the "Chinese selfhood" principles presented some
difficulties because "being united with the Pope is an integral part of
faith in the Catholic Church.

    "Luckily," he added, "in our days, times of greater tolerance,
Catholics in China have been allowed to pray for the Pope openly. They are
not allowed direct contact with the church [in Rome], but they can express
it through letters and with visitors. We find that 90 percent of Catholics
in the church -- both the open church and the underground church -- accept
the leadership of the Pope."

    Along with the underground Catholic Church, there are many unofficial
Protestant groups operating in China. Estimates of their total membership
vary greatly, with some figures suggesting tens of millions of members.
These figures are disputed by the CCC, which says many of these underground
groups are teaching heretical beliefs.

     Some of the underground groups have support from evangelical
Christians and from other groups in South Korea, North America and Hong
Kong, but they were not included in the forum.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>