From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WARC'S Opocensky Calls for More Unified Witness by Churches

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 25 Aug 1997 18:32:26

12-August-1997
97310

    WARC'S Opocensky Calls for More
    Unified Witness by Churches

    by Jerry L. Van Marter
    World Alliance of Reformed Churches Newsroom

DEBRECEN, Hungary--World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) general
secretary Milan Opocensky issued a stinging rebuke of the globalized human
society as not fair and just and criticized Christian churches for their
lack of unity in addressing world economic and social problems.

    Unrestricted free-market capitalism, which Opocensky said was presented
as the only viable solution after the demise of communism,  does not seem
to be an adequate alternative.   He said the theme of the 23rd WARC General
Council -- "Break the Chains of Injustice"  --  compels us to ask
increasingly the question: What are the structures that could facilitate
the political realization of social justice?

    Opocensky insisted that envisioning and advocating for such structures
is a service that a Christian community, a church, can render in an era of
pluralism and postmodernism  because  the biblical message of liberation
and hope encourages us to work for a model of society that would be
politically responsible, socially just and ecologically sensitive.

    And yet, he continued, the disunity of the world's churches demands an
answer to a more fundamental theological question: Who are we Reformed
people?  Do we still have a common basis on which we can build our
worldwide fellowship?  Opocensky noted, for instance, that more than twice
as many Reformed churches  are outside WARC as are members of the Alliance.
It is a serious failure if we easily accept the existing divisions and
separations among Reformed churches, he said.

    Ironically, this disunity comes at a time when governments in Central
and Eastern Europe  seem to be more friendly and open to Christian witness
and presence,  Opocensky noted.   It would be a serious failure if churches
became opportunistic, denouncing the past and turning a complacent face to
the present and future.  Christians always need to learn to distinguish
between the biblical God and the old and new idols,  he said.   Christians
strongly affirm democratic and participatory procedures, freedom of
assembly, speech and press.  But freedom cannot be divorced from the
concern for justice.
    Opocensky said Christians and churches are challenged and our hearts
are searched by the power of the gospel, but we are equally challenged by
the urgent issues and problems of today.  Our faith is tested at the
intersection of those two levels: the calling of the gospel and the level
of the social and political arena. Political and social responsibility is
part and parcel of Christian existence.

    But churches, he continued, are tempted to be concerned about our own
denomination and about our immediate problems.   Nevertheless, Opocensky
said, because Christians are bonded together in Jesus Christ,  we are
called to give a more visible expression to the unity that already exists
in Christ.

    Such Christian communion, he insisted, means sharing and, if necessary,
sacrificing and suffering for each other.   Because each local congregation
and national church  is an expression of the universal church, we have to
seek a more adequate understanding between local and universal.

    Opocensky concluded by suggesting what steps WARC might take in coming
years:

    *  reflect on the main emphases of Reformed faith
    *  identify burning issues in science and social life and reflect on
       them theologically
    *  continue bilateral dialogues with other Christian communions
    *  support the fully inclusive community of women and men
    *  strive for human rights and work for economic justice
    *  cultivate reverence for life and justice for all creation
    *  overcome disunity and lack of coordination in missionary work
    *  search for a vision of the Reformed family's contribution to the
       ecumenical movement
    *  open itself to other religions and start dialogue and practical
       cooperation.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>