From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Rita Dixon Receives Edler G. Hawkins Award

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 04 Apr 1998 16:34:05

1-April-1998
98108

    Rita Dixon Receives Edler G. Hawkins Award

    by Julian Shipp

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.-Described as "a committed sister with boundless energy
and ideas," the Rev. Rita Louise Dixon was honored with the Edler G.
Hawkins Award here on March 21 during the National Black Presbyterian
Caucus (NBPC)'s 31st Annual Conference.

    A noted Christian educator and ecumenist, Dixon is currently the
associate for black congregational enhancement in the National Ministries
Division (NMD). She was formerly staff associate for racial ethnic
ministries with the General Assembly Mission Board of the PC(US), starting
in 1979. She moved to Louisville and began working at the Presbyterian
Center following Presbyterian reunion in 1983.

    "I am deeply, deeply honored and words cannot  express to you how I
feel now and how I felt when [NBPC president the Rev.] Curtis Jones called
me and told me this was going to happen," an elated Dixon told the crowd
attending the Hawkins banquet. "I almost went into a deep depression
because I just never see myself this way and I certainly never think of
myself in the same sense that I think of Edler Hawkins."

    A noted Presbyterian ecumenist, urban pastor, civic and community
leader, Edler G. Hawkins (1908-1977) was elected as the first
African-American moderator of the Presbytery of New York City and in 1964
was elected as the first African-American moderator of the General Assembly
of the United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.

    He also served as chair of the Commission on Religion and Race, the
Council of Church and Race Relations of the United Presbyterian Church in
the U.S.A., the Presbyterian Economic Development Corporation and the
Witherspoon Development Corporation.

    "However, I can acknowledge with joy that God has worked greatly
through the ministry of the Office of Black Congregational Enhancement,"
Dixon said. "A lot of people have been involved in it, not just me. It's
all the people who have contributed to this ministry. This office is really
like a galvanizing center and it's the people throughout this church who
have made it what it is."

    Dixon holds a bachelor of arts degree with concentrations in
mathematics, education and psychology from Spelman College and a master of
science degree in mathematics from Atlanta University. She also holds a
doctor of education degree from Harvard Divinity School and further
graduate studies in the Ph.D. program in theological studies at Emory
University in Atlanta, Ga.

    Dixon has numerous publications to her credit and was responsible for
the development of two curriculum programs: Exploring Childhood and
Exploring Human Nature. She presently chairs the committee that will soon
publish a resource on the church in Ethiopia.

    Guest speaker at the awards banquet was Rep. Melvin Watt (D-N.C.), who
took his text from author James H. Cone's book, "God of the Oppressed."
Watt implored black Presbyterians not to allow the church to deal only with
salvation, but to continue to concern itself with freedom, justice and
equality issues.

    "The fight for freedom and justice is no closer to being over than the
fight for salvation - it is an ongoing struggle," Watt said. "In the black
church, these two fights have been interwoven and integral throughout our
history. We can't allow the black church to just deal with salvation. We
need you to keep dealing with equality and justice and freedom for all of
our peoples."

    The recipient of this year's Lucy Craft Laney Award was Ethel Hawkins
of Pine Bluff, Ark., a black Presbyterian philanthropist and educator.
Hawkins, now 87, has donated more than $300,000 over the course of her life
to various organizations, including the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Foundation, Heifer Project International and her alma mater, Johnson C.
Smith University, from which she graduated in 1936. Hawkins taught for 31
years in Cabarrus and Rowan counties in North Carolina. She was married to
the Rev. W.A. Hawkins, a Presbyterian pastor who died in 1957.

    A noted Presbyterian educator, Laney (1855-1933) was instrumental in
chartering the Haines Normal and Industrial Institute in 1886, an
African-American college preparatory and vocational school that benefitted
hundreds of black students whose parents had been slaves only three decades
before. Born in Macon, Ga. on April 13, 1855, Laney attended  Lewis High
School, which later became Ballard Normal School. Upon graduation from
Ballard, she entered Atlanta University as a member of the first class to
be enrolled at the institution.

    During the meeting, NBPC also installed its new officers, who will
serve from 1998 to 2001. They are Eleanor Doty of Dallas, secretary, and
the Rev. Patricia D. Mason of Roswell, Ga., representative at large.

    NBPC also thanked the following outgoing board members for their years
of service: Valerie Giles-Reynolds of Detroit, Mich., at-large
representative; Romie Harris of St. Louis, Mo., Midwest representative; Dr.
Thelma Adair of New York, N.Y., Northeast representative; Earl McLendon of
Los Angeles, Calif., West representative; the Rev. James Mitcham Jr. of
Winston-Salem, N.C., Mid-Atlantic representative; and Virginia
Dowsing-Toliver of Rock Hill, Mo., secretary.

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>