From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Safety Stressed After Presbyterian Center Worker Is Raped

From PCUSA.NEWS@pcusa.org
Date 21 Apr 1998 10:07:01

7-April-1998

98129   Safety Stressed After Presbyterian Center Worker
    Is Raped

    by Alexa Smith

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--Police have released a sketch of a  young black male who
robbed and raped a woman leaving the Presbyterian Center early in the
afternoon April 3.

    The victim, a 32-year-old white woman, began working in the
Presbyterian Center just two days before the rape occurred, though she is
not a member of the denomination's staff.

    "It is disheartening that we live in such a time that, even in broad
daylight, no one is safe," the Rev. Frank Diaz, interim executive director
of the General Assembly Council (GAC), wrote in a memo to Louisville
personnel.  He encouraged staff members to "be very careful" walking to
automobiles parked near the center and even to local restaurants.

     "Please," he said, "do not walk alone."

    The rape occurred about 2 p.m., according to Aaron Graham, information
officer for the Louisville Police Department.  He said the victim was
approached by a black man in his mid-20s who forced her into her car, hit
her in the face, demanded money, tied her hands with her  panty hose and
raped her once.  After the attack, she drove to the Presbyterian Center for
assistance. The $1 bill the victim had in her purse was stolen.

    Graham said police intend to circulate the composite sketch of the
assailant in offices near the parking lot where the rape occurred.  The
city-owned lot is directly across the street from the Witherspoon Garage,
which is in front of the Presbyterian Center.

     Graham described the attacker as a clean-shaven black man in his
mid-20s with a medium build and short black hair.  He has a gold upper
tooth. He was unknown to the victim and was reportedly unarmed. "We really
haven't had any incidents like [this]," Graham told the Presbyterian News
Service, adding that a rape in broad daylight is especially unusual.

     "The crime rate," he said, "in the downtown area is traditionally very
low.  It still is."

    Noting that hundreds of the Presbyterian Center's 600 employees park in
lots within walking distance of the Center, the denomination's property
services director, Bill Gatewood, told the Presbyterian News Service that
employees "need to be open" to security issues within the building and
around its perimeter.  "The Main Street/riverfront area [where the center
sits] is the fastest growing area downtown," said Gatewood.  Development of
the waterfront area has greatly increased traffic, he added.  "The more
people, the more opportunities for crime."

    Humana Inc., the healthcare giant that owns the three-tiered
Witherspoon Garage, allots only 270-plus spaces to employees of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).

    The Presbyterian Center's Staff Leadership Team and Staff Association
organized a protection training program, which is slated for employees
April 15 and April 23.  A question-and-answer session on security concerns
will be held April 14.  Further, some counseling services will be available
for particularly anxious employees.  The denomination had just hired a new
building security service, which began work April 4, the day after the
assault.

    "Even though [the victim] was not an employee of the PC(USA), our
concerns are still the same, without a doubt," said Gatewood.  "We'll do
anything we can to support her and make resources available to employees
here.  But we do not want to be alarmist."

  phone 502-569-5504             fax 502-569-8073
  mailed from World Faith News <wfn-news@wfn.org>