From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Respond to Hurricane Bonnie

From Frank Imhoff <FRANKI@elca.org>
Date 02 Sep 1998 10:43:34

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

September 2, 1998

LUTHERANS RESPOND TO HURRICANE BONNIE
98-31-179-MR

 CHICAGO (ELCA) -- As Hurricane Bonnie receded to a tropical storm Aug. 28 and moved slowly back over the Atlantic Ocean, members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) along the North Carolina coastline were glad they "dodged the bullet," but many are under psychological stress as damage assessment continues, according to the Rev. Gilbert B. Furst, director of Lutheran Disaster Response, a ministry of the ELCA and The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS).
 Furst heard stories of "people in fear" of the storm when he met with 29 pastors and lay leaders in Wilmington and Kinston, N.C., Aug. 29.  "Due to inclement weather, it has not been possible to do a full assessment of the damage," said Furst.  Clean up efforts are still taking place five days after the hurricane, which caused severe water damage, flooding and "debris all over the place."
 "Pastoral ministries are being undergirded in these relieved but stressed times.  There are reports of how the community of faith is pulling together," said Furst.  "Pastors received cash grants to provide immediate financial assistance to members of their congregations and communities.  An initial grant of $15,000 was distributed.  Money will continue to be collected for additional financial support."
 "This has been an extraordinary year of suffering for so many people in so many places," said Furst.  "Hurricane Bonnie is the 26th disaster to which our churches have responded this year.  We are people of hope, and we worship a resurrected Lord who is always present with his people."

For information contact:
Ann Hafften, Director 1-773-380-2958 or NEWS@ELCA.ORG
http://www.elca.org/co/news/current.html