From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Handgun: Conflicting Passions End a Love Affair

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 11 Sep 1998 20:03:55

98297

    Handgun: Conflicting Passions End a Love Affair

    by John Railey
    Winston-Salem Journal
    copyright 1998 Piedmont Publishing Company, Inc.
    All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.-I gave up my handgun this week.

    I gave it to High Point police, who will turn it over to a machine shop
where workers will grind my beloved weapon into scrap metal.

    For years, I was an admitted hypocrite, a supposedly pacifist Quaker
who owned a handgun.

    The only flimsy argument I could make in my defense was that I was just
part of a sea of handgun-using Americans, many of whom have strong
religious beliefs.  Plenty of those users are law-abiding.

    But plenty aren't.

    The slaying of two Capitol Police officers in our nation's capitol
building, allegedly by a man wielding a handgun, is the latest and most
heinous example in our long bloody wave of handgun crimes.

    There are efforts to turn the tide.

    Earlier this summer in Charlotte, delegates to the 210th General
Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) voted by a 3-1 margin to
"intentionally work toward removing handguns and assault weapons from our
homes and communities."  The resolution challenged my beliefs, and it could
challenge those of millions of other Americans of all faiths.

    We live in a violent land where the right to keep and bear arms has
always held even sway with freedom of religion.  Americans love God and
guns, especially handguns.  But if God says its wrong to kill - and
handguns kill - how can we continue to justify these dual passions.

    I'm not talking about taking away anyone's rifles or shotguns or
infringing on anyone's hunting rights.  I'll keep my own long guns.

    Sure plenty of people murder with long guns.  But handguns, with their
easy concealment, are the weapon of choice of killers and robbers.

                          The killer inside me

    All that said, I understand well our nation's long love affair with
handguns, and all other firearms.  I grew up in a lush Tidewater back
country where guns were a constant as sure as the beating sun that
penetrated even our lonely swamps.

    We owned rifles and shotguns for hunting, and handguns for
self-defense.

    At 16, I had a cheap .22-caliber, snub-nosed revolver.  I'd set it in
the console of my '73 Capri and cruise my small town, my long hair tied in
a bandana, jamming to Van Halen on the radio.

    I'm lucky I'm not writing these lines from a prison cell.

    Not that age brought reason.

    My first handgun was stolen.  But after college, I bought another one,
a .22-caliber Ruger pistol.

    I came to believe I needed the gun.

    I spent my first years in newspapers covering crime.  I knew what
violence could befall a person, and I also feared aggravating some felon on
the loose by writing about him.

    And even covering religion, I couldn't part with my pistol.  I kept it
unloaded on a high shelf in our bedroom closet.

    It was the safe way to do it, but I doubt that I would have been able
to wake from a dead sleep and load it in the dark if an intruder broke into
our house.

    There was little practical value to the gun.  It was a security
blanket, my umbilical cord to my country's ugly past.

                         Time to end the affair

    I almost didn't turn in my gun.

    In fact, my first draft of this column dealt with my conflicted
emotions on the issue.  But when I read it through and considered my
hypocrisy, I changed my mind.

    Tuesday morning, I turned in the pistol at the police department in
High Point, where I live.

    At first, I felt defenseless, even, yes, emasculated.  Later, I just
felt free.

    I'm thankful for efforts such as those of the Presbyterian Church to
bring the gun issue home.

    The efforts give us a peek at a new America, one where we could walk
free from our past, leaving our rocky love affair with handguns behind.