From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

President's crisis spurs varied reactions among United

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 21 Sep 1998 14:28:20

Methodists

Sept. 21, 1998	   Contact: Joretta Purdue*(202)546-8722*Washington
{536}

By Joretta Purdue*

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - President Clinton's crisis is drawing mixed
reactions from prominent United Methodists, ranging from words of
forgiveness to calls for his resignation.

For the most part, however, caution and temperance are the rule, as
church leaders try to provide moral perspective in the wake of
revelations about the president's behavior.

President and Mrs. Clinton attended Foundry United Methodist Church in
Washington on Sept. 20 for the first time since the president's Aug. 17
testimony before a grand jury. Clinton's admission then about an
improper relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky was
followed within weeks by the release of Independent Counsel Kenneth
Starr's detailed report to Congress and the House of Representatives'
subsequent decision to release a videotape of the testimony.

During the church service, the Rev. J. Philip Wogaman used the church
lectionary as the basis for his sermon. It included the text from
Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, lest ye be judged." In the message captioned
"Zion's Song in Babylon," Wogaman warned that destroying one thing in
civil life leads to destroying others and then the nation.

Earlier in the week, Wogaman had said: "One of my concerns is that in
this kind of climate there can be a temptation for those in public life
to try to destroy their opponents, and that works in both parties. But
in a democracy, where public dialogue must be civil and where restraint
must be shown, to destroy your opponents will help destroy the nation."

He also voiced the concern that "the present condemnation of the
president by many in politics and in the press" is "making it more
difficult for us to discern the important role of love and
reconciliation in politics." He said he believes that President Clinton
will find healing, and with him the nation, "but we will not do it on
the basis that neglects the lessons of love."

Wogaman is widely reported as being the third minister in the
president's newly formed accountability or counseling group. However,
the pastor, who taught ethics at Wesley Seminary for several years, will
not confirm or deny any kind of counseling relationship with the
president or anyone else. The ethicist told United Methodist News
Service he feels free to speak about what he thinks is wise for the
country, segregating that from any pastoral relationship he might have.

Preaching on Sept. 13, the Rev. Nancy Grissom Self also found a timely
sermon in the lectionary text, which dealt with the parables of the lost
sheep and the lost coin. Self is pastor of University United Methodist
Church in Redlands, Calif., where she has been serving since leaving the
secretariat of the United Methodist Commission on the Status and Role of
Women in 1990.

Two days after the release of the Starr Report, Self's sermon dealt with
the loss of innocence, confidence and trust in the political process.

"Lurid details of sex in high places relentlessly dominate our news
coverage these days, but sex and violence also dominate prime-time and
late-night drama, and even the daytime soaps are laced with
indiscretions and infidelities and intrigue," she told the congregation.

"I really believe that there's a 'lostness' in our generation that we as
the church must address with seriousness and not be caught in the
sensationalism nor the cynicism." Her sermon concluded with the
assertion, "We are surrounded by God's grace no matter how deep the
shame, how debilitating the disgrace, how unforgiving the attitude. . .
. God follows and forgives and loves even people we give up on."

Bishop Felton E. May, who leads the Washington Area, observed that as a
Christian he is "duty-bound to forgive" and recommended asking "whether
the president's behavior, to the degree it is accurately portrayed by
the Starr Report, reflects a problem that permeates our society and for
which all of us are responsible."

He advocates three actions in response to this national crisis:
*	a national day of atonement;
*	a national commitment to recovery; and
*	a national dialogue about God, morals and values.

"I have learned that when a church is in trouble, changing the pastor is
rarely an adequate solution," the bishop said. "As a nation, we are an
addicted people who want to feel good without living healthy lives. We
want to feel righteous without doing justly. We want to feel loved
without devoting ourselves to loving relationships."

The Rev. Joseph Lowery, chairman of the Black Leadership Forum and
co-founder and president emeritus of the Southern Christian Leadership
Conference, has said he does not believe impeachment or resignation can
serve the best interest of the nation.

In "The Amen Corner," a column that he writes for the African-American
press, Lowery criticized the president's foolhardiness after surviving
other scandals and called Kenneth Starr to repent for "his persecutorial
behavior rather than prosecutorial behavior."   Lowery observed,
"Unfortunately the president's weakness and the special persecutor's
meanness are signs of our times. We have tolerated weakness and
celebrated meanness. Our culture has been wounded by moral compromise
and political violence."

Lowery calls for a revival of spirituality, values and high principles.

"Our perception of morality must extend beyond sex," he said. "Moral
authority also embraces the capacity to lead the nation to address
poverty; hunger; accessible, affordable health care; quality education;
and peace and justice."

He expressed concern that stripping away the confidentiality presidents
thought they had will lead to less effective relationships with advisers
and Secret Service staff. Noting that "we all have sinned," Lowery
suggested a national act of repentance as a first step, and he reminded
everyone of the line from the Lord's Prayer that said, "Forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."

Bishop C. Joseph Sprague of the denomination's Chicago Area issued a
two-page statement on Sept. 15 in response to questions. The bishop
outlined how he handles charges of sexual misconduct in the clergy he
supervises, noting that first he tries for reconciliation. "While I
shall never sweep such important matters under any rug, I am convinced
that investigations and possible trials, while occasionally necessary,
are hurtful to all concerned, even if due process and justice are
served."

Sprague also looks to see if the behavior abuses children or youth or is
part of a pattern, he said. "When trust is broken, despite God's
forgiveness of the clergy as a person before God, vocational credibility
and privilege have been destroyed," he asserted.

He has concluded that Clinton's behavior with Lewinsky, "and allegedly
with others, is part of a pattern of lewd, inappropriate sexual
behavior" that would be defined within the denomination as sexual
harassment and sexual misconduct. Sprague said that God's grace is not
cheap.

"While I believe that Mr. Clinton, apparently contrite of heart and
forgiven by God, does have an open future in which to use his immense
talents for good, I do believe that either public censure or the
president's resignation is warranted," Sprague stated. He called on
Clinton, for the good of his office, nation and world, as well as
himself and family, "to do what any United Methodist pastor would be
forced to do: Face the consequences of inappropriate behavior and make
the necessary and quite tangible amends."

The Rev. Leicester Longden, chair of the theological commission of the
Confessing Movement within the United Methodist Church commented,
"Speaking as a pastor and a Christian citizen, I believe that the drama
of the Clinton presidency gives the nation an important opportunity to
reflect on character, law and forgiveness."

He expressed the hope that citizens would not be guided by party
loyalties. "I hope they will not reduce the crisis in the presidency
merely to a private scandal," Longden said. He added that he prays for a
new national commitment that recognizes the influence and impact of the
character of leaders and the importance of accountability and
restitution to forgiveness.

In the political arena, Sen. Dale Bumpers (D-Ark.) was one of the first
United Methodists to speak on the issue. On the day the Starr Report was
released to the public, Bumpers warned against a rush to judgment in a
speech entered into the Congressional Record.

The president "is entitled to be heard," Bumpers said. "The American
people are entitled to an objective, nonpartisan deliberation based on
the facts."

The question before the House of Representatives will be whether or not
any or all of the president's misdeeds combined "reach the threshold
that the founders intended in the Constitution," he said, "and that is,
we know it is not treason and it is not bribery, and the next question
will be: Does it reach the threshold of high crimes and misdemeanors?"

Bumpers urged both chambers of Congress not to neglect the important
work before them, such as dealing with issues of health care, education
and the environment.

"There has been an awful lot said about the president sacrificing his
moral authority," he said. "I would simply remind people that allowing
children to go without health care is immoral too, in this senator's
opinion. And abusing the only planet God gave us to sustain ourselves is
also immoral."

Sen. Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), a United Methodist who was among the early
candidates for the Republican presidential nomination in 1996, has not
issued any statements on the Clinton matter. The Senate's role comes
later if there is an impeachment process, his press secretary, Andy
Fisher, explained.

Lugar has said that it is probably not appropriate for the president to
resign because he needs to continue dealing with the important issues
facing the country while he works on his own problems, according to
Fisher.

Rep. Steve Buyer (R-Ind.), senior of three United Methodists on the
House Judiciary Committee, noted through his press secretary that "there
is agreement between majority and minority staff that there is certain
information that should not be in the public domain."

However, subsequent media reports indicated tension between Republicans
and Democrats in the  preparations for the release of the videotape and
transcripts of grand jury testimony. Many deletions to the material were
later restored in committee and House action.

Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) found her office swamped with 1,000 e-mail and
750 phone calls in four days, so she added a toll-free hotline and
another e-mail address for her constituents so they could more easily
offer their opinions.

"I believe the president's actions were irresponsible and indefensible,
and I am deeply disappointed," Stabenow said.

"With the release of the Starr Report, it is now up to the U.S. House of
Representatives to review the evidence, conduct a fair hearing, and
decide what consequences the president will face," she noted. "I am
committed to a swift resolution that is in the best interest of our
country so that we can continue to address the important issues of
concern to families such as education, social security and health care."

In Berlin, the Rev. Heinrich Meinhardt, who leads two churches, said he
has discussed the Clinton situation with some church members but has not
preached on the subject.

"The majority regret the behavior of the president, but also, I would
say, they would ask for forgiveness and hope that he will stay in the
office."

When asked if the moral crisis weakens Clinton as a world leader,
Meinhardt said that if the situation "goes on and on without an end," it
may have a more weakening effect in that regard than the actual
behavior.

Meinhardt noted that people in Germany are wondering why the Starr
Report was published in such detail, and one person had observed to him
that it contains more details than Playboy.

Moira Sleight, editor of the Methodist Recorder newspaper in London,
reported that the main response from British people is fascination that
Starr was able to investigate the President's sexual behavior in the way
he has.

"I think most people's view is that Bill Clinton has been an absolute
fool, and Clinton jokes are abounding here," she said. "British
Methodists share in the general reaction. Incredulity, rather than
indignation, is the main emotion."

She also spoke of "widespread sympathy for Hillary and Chelsea and
sadness at the hurt they have been caused."

"I believe many Methodists also look at the wider picture and realize
that while Clinton's personal life has been very disappointing, his
contribution to the Irish situation cannot be negated." Irish Methodists
have spoken of their feeling that he has made an important contribution
to the peace process. Sleight added that whatever happens to him as a
result of the revelations, that feeling still stands.

Noting Clinton's declaration of repentance and plea for forgiveness, she
said, "Methodists here would feel, I think, that such forgiveness is for
his family and nation to grant and is not the concern of other
nationalities."

# # #

*Purdue is news director of United Methodist News Service's Washington
bureau.

United Methodist News Service
(615)742-5470
Releases and photos also available at