From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Statement on Death of King Hussein

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 08 Feb 1999 10:35:58

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Internet: news@ncccusa.org

Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

15NCC2/8/99

A Statement on the Death of King Hussein
by
The Rev. Dr. Joan Brown Campbell
General Secretary
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
February 8, 1999

We have been saddened deeply by the death of King Hussein of
Jordan after a long struggle with cancer.  Like many others,
we had dared to hope that he would recover from his latest
setback, as he has previously.  We offer our condolences to
his wife, Queen Noor, to his son and heir King Abdullah II,
to his children, to all the Hashemite royal family and to
the people of Jordan, who have lost a long-serving, strong
and capable ruler, and a brave, compassionate, sincere and
humane man.  We ask God to be present to them to guide and
comfort them through this time of grief and mourning.

Throughout the years of his reign, King Hussein has been a
voice of wisdom and moderation, seeking to balance the many
competing demands and conflicting trends that have
characterized the life of Jordan and the region in his near
half century as king.  He has been a spokesperson for peace
with justice, which he embodied in the treaty of peace
between Israel and Jordan.  He has given much of himself to
the struggle for a just peace between Israel and the
Palestinians, even leaving his medical treatment to provide
crucial assistance to the conclusion of the Wye agreements.
Few other individuals have done more for the peaceful
resolution of Middle East conflicts than King Hussein.

At the same time, under his leadership Jordan has been
transformed into a modern nation with honest and effective
governance and an open society.  Of special note to us are
the efforts that King Hussein and others have made to
enhance good relations and promote dialogue among persons of
different religious faiths, during a period when religion
has often been used divisively and has become a source of
conflict.

Over the years of his reign, many delegations and visitors
from the U.S. churches have received cordial and gracious
welcomes from the King, his family and members of his
government.  He and his government were always open to
exchange views with the U.S. Christian community, which has
been of great benefit as we have sought to bear our own
witness for peace.  Dialogue with King Hussein personally in
1979 played a crucial role in the formation of the NCCCUSA
Policy Statement on the Middle East, adopted by the
Governing Board in November, 1980, that has served ever
since as the foundation of the NCCCUSA's ecumenical activity
and public witness on the Middle East.

In our loss, we are comforted by the knowledge of the
sincere faith in God that sustained King Hussein through
many painful tests and trials in his life.  May God the
Merciful receive him into the gardens of Paradise and grant
him peace eternally.

-end-
 -0-