From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventists At Risk in Yugoslavia

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 02 May 1999 02:34:52

May 1, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schäffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Schweiz

Adventists At Risk in Yugoslavia

Belgrade, Yugoslavia (APD)  Evening national
newspaper, "Vecernje Novosti", in Belgrade,
Yugoslavia, published an article on April 18,
1999, which stated that General Wesley Clark, NATO
supreme commander of the air strikes against
Yugoslavia, "was and perhaps still is" a member of
the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

The writer of the article, M Bosnjak, quotes two
sources to establish General Clark's affiliation to
the Adventist Church.  The first is from an
interview with Dr Dwight Nelson, Adventist pastor
and theologian from U.S. based Andrews University,
in May 1996 during an evangelistic series in
Belgrade.  The second is an Italian newspaper, "Il
Setimanale" which quoted some well-known
theologians who mentioned Clark as belonging to the
Seventh-day Adventist Church.

"General Clark is not nor has he ever been a member
of the Seventh-day Adventist Church," writes
Miodrag Zivanovic, communication director and
spokesperson for the Church in Yugoslavia in his
faxed response to the newspaper's editor. "We are
loyal citizens of our country and believers in
Jesus Christ, pursuing Biblical values - to love
everybody and to live in peace.  Therefore, no one
can be an aggressor and an Adventist Christian at
the same time," he writes.  "We are already victims
of this war.  Why do we have to be victims of lies
in our country from our own people?"

Dr Dwight Nelson, in his response to the editor of
the paper, writes: "I wish to categorically deny
ever having made such a statement.  I  regret that
in the course of the May 1996 interview with your
reporter something was apparently either
mistranslated or misunderstood. As a pastor and
theologian I am deeply saddened for the suffering
of the people in the Federal Republic of
Yugoslavia, and I am praying that peace may return
without delay."

As a result of the Church's reaction to the
article, "Vecernje Novosti" published an
article on April 19 entitled "Adventist Church
Denies Clark as Member" rejecting General Clark's
affiliation with the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

"With such false information in the newspaper
during this time of war, Adventists are at great
risk of being targets of hostility and physical
assaults in their neighbourhoods," says Radisa
Antic, president of the Seventh-day Adventist
Church in Yugoslavia.  "We are afraid that our
church buildings will be attacked by the local
people as a result of this article."