From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Statement, U.S. Religious Leaders to Belgrade

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 02 May 1999 12:05:33

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
E-mail: news@ncccusa.org; Web: www.ncccusa.org

DEPARTURE STATEMENT
May 2, 1999

Issued By
The Mission of United States Religious Leaders to Belgrade

 We, the Mission of the United States Religious Leaders
to Belgrade, headed by the Rev. Jesse Jackson and the Rev.
Joan Brown Campbell, give thanks to God, the Author of peace
and justice.  Our common faith in God has brought us
together in our opposition to all forms of violence and to
offer a positive option for peace.  The choice we affirms is
to go forward by hopes and dreams and not to recycle pains
and sorrows.  We rejoice greatly this day in the release of
the three American soldiers held captive in Belgrade.
Nevertheless, our joy is framed against the sorrowful
reality of the many innocent lives lost in the current NATO
bombing campaign.  Therefore, we remain firmly committed to
the non-violent resolution of this conflict.

 The conflict in Yugoslavia must end quickly and
humanely.  Together with the religious leadership of
Yugoslavia, we want to help build a bridge of trust leading
to just diplomacy.  The contribution of faith forms a
spiritual bridge between our peoples which cannot be
destroyed.

 Many things trouble us deeply: the violence in Kosovo
which has led to thousands of refugees; the death and
destruction from the bombing campaign; and the constant
rhetoric that demonizes rather than engages.

 The violence suffered by all people in Yugoslavia must
end.  Bombing and more war cannot bring peace.  "An eye for
an eye and a tooth for a tooth" brings mutual blindness and
disfigurement.  Our sense of kinship transcends political
lines and this is why we want to build the bridge of peace.
Peace with justice is worth the risk.  The role of faith
must be a binding factor in this entire equation.  We want
to be forces for good and to promote negotiation over
confrontation.  We can bring about peace with security if we
have the will to co-exist.

 Our allegiance is to peace and justice for all of God's
children.  We have met with the religious leadership of
Yugoslavia and together:

 - We affirm that we are one family of God.
 - We believe that animosity amongst God's children is
destructive to all.
 - We are convinced that war is evil.  It harms both the
Serbs and ethnic Albanians.
 - We affirm our support for each other in our pastoral
efforts toward peace.
 - We will continue to work together to heal the wounds
of war.

 We wish to thank the Serbian Orthodox Church, under the
leadership of His Holiness Patriarch Pavle, and all other
communities of faith in Yugoslavia and throughout the world
for their efforts in seeking the release of the three
American soldiers.  We appeal to all persons of goodwill to
build lasting bridges of peace and reconciliation.

-end-
 -0-