From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Advocates agree Sudan crisis deserves

From "Disciples Off. of Communication"<wshuffit@oc.disciples.org>
Date 07 May 1999 09:57:15

attention
Date: May 7, 1999
Disciples News Service
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
Contact: Clifford L. Willis
E-mail: CWillis@oc.disciples.org
on the Web: http://www.disciples.org

99b-31

	INDIANAPOLIS (DNS) -- While recent events in
Kosovo have the world's attention, advocates at a
recent gathering urged that U.S. citizens not
forget a similar crisis in Sudan.

	Approximately 100 persons took part in an April
23-25 conference, here, concerning "The Crisis in
Sudan." The consultation was sponsored by Christ
Church (Episcopal) Cathedral, the Church
Federation of Greater Indianapolis and the
National Council of Churches and the Africa
Office of the Christian Church (Disciples of
Christ) and the United Church of Christ. Other
sponsors included the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), the Episcopal Church of the U.S.A. and
the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis.

	The Common Global Ministries Board does not have
any missionary personnel or official church
partnerships within the Sudan, according to Nico
Gourdet, Africa program associate. "We do help
support a program in Kenya called the project for
Christian/Muslim relations in Africa," he said.
That program has promoted dialogue and education
to increase knowledge between the two groups.

	More than 2 million women and children have died
in the civil war in the Sudan, according to a
statement by "Friends of the Sudan." The ongoing
conflict there "constitutes a crisis that
includes human-made famine, displacement of
families, human rights abuses and other forms of
suffering."

	Much of the conflict between the northern and
southern regions, is over religion and economics,
according to Julia Duany, Bloomington, Ind. The
Sudan native served as facilitator for a
discussion of the country's history.

	The north is much better off, Duany said, citing
the presence of more schools and hospitals and
better roads. The south, however, has fertile
land and vast oil reserves. These resources also
are a point of contention in the armed conflict.

	The question is: "Who will control the resources
of the country?" Duany asked. "We need to help
both sides -- especially the south -- find peace
between themselves."

	That peace will require cooperation between the
Muslim north and a growing Christian presence in
the south, according to Akolda Tier. He
represented the Sudan Council of Churches, which
is providing emergency supplies to displaced
families and spreading awareness of their plight
within the country and outside the country.

	Tier sees the SCC playing a vital role in
rallying churches to promote peace in the
war-torn nation. Churches must have a say in
resolving the conflict, he said. Toward that end,
the SCC called for a cease-fire and troop
withdrawal from both regions and a one-year peace
treaty during which a new constitution would be
written.

	Persons attending "The Crisis in Sudan -- A
North American Dialogue" called for the global
community to "speak loudly and act courageously
to abhor this crisis, as it has concerning the
Kosovo crisis."

	"The challenge we face is to make the invisible,
visible," said Richard Parkins of Episcopal
Migration Ministries.

	The group shared its concern for justice and the
well being of all marginalized persons in the
country, despite ethnic and religious background.
The conference also included an advocacy
component during which participants developed
action plans to raise awareness and facilitate
action in their home communities.

	"We encourage others, especially the U.S.
government, to join us and our Sudanese brothers
and sisters in their struggle for peace with
justice," the statement concluded.

	Disciples members, in particular can "become
more aware of this situation and advocate on
behalf of all of the Sudan  . . .  through urging
our government and media sources to give more
attention to the Sudan crisis," said Gourdet.

                                      	-- end --