From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Fifteen More Lutheran Bishops Support 'Called to Common Mission'

From NEWS <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 26 May 1999 12:42:02

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

May 26, 1999

FIFTEEN MORE LUTHERAN BISHOPS SUPPORT 'CALLED TO COMMON MISSION'
99-145-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Fifteen synod bishops of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) have added their support for "Called
to Common Mission" (CCM), a Lutheran proposal for a relationship of
"full communion" with The Episcopal Church.  The bishops serve synods
from Michigan and Nebraska to Texas and the Caribbean.
     Fifteen bishops in the northeast and mid-Atlantic United States
issued similar statements of support earlier in the year.  Bishops head
each of the ELCA's 65 synods.
     "As bishops of the church we urge the 1999 Churchwide Assembly of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America to adopt 'Called to Common
Mission' as the vehicle for establishing a relationship of full
communion," said a statement signed by Bishops Gary L. Hansen
(North/West Lower Michigan Synod), Marcus J. Miller (Northeastern Ohio
Synod), Robert A. Rimbo (Southeast Michigan Synod) and James R. Stuck
(Indiana-Kentucky Synod).
     "We unanimously pledge our support to 'Called to Common Mission,'"
said Bishops James E. Bennett (Southwestern Texas Synod), Paul J. Blom
(Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod), Mark B. Herbener (Northern Texas-Northern
Louisiana Synod), Richard N. Jessen (Nebraska Synod), Charles H. Maahs (Central
States Synod) and Floyd M. Schoenhals (Arkansas-Oklahoma Synod).  "We commit
ourselves to work and advocate for its adoption."
     "Having studied 'Called to Common Mission' in depth, we wish to
express our affirmation of and enthusiasm for the ecumenical advances to
'full communion' with the Episcopal Church U.S.A. that CCM so carefully
proposes," wrote Bishops Richard F. Bansemer (Virginia Synod), David A.
Donges (South Carolina Synod), Francisco L. Sosa (Caribbean Synod),
William B. Trexler (Florida-Bahamas Synod) and Ronald B. Warren
(Southeastern Synod) in a second statement.  The ELCA's Southeastern
Synod includes congregations in Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi and
Tennessee.
     The five bishops recalled a statement affirmed by the ELCA
Conference of Bishops in March that outlined understandings about and
expectations of CCM.  "We wish to express and record our vigorous
support for 'Called to Common Mission,'" Bishops Bansemer, Donges, Sosa,
Trexler and Warren added.
     Full communion is a common confessing of the Christian faith; a
mutual recognition of Baptism and a sharing of the Lord's Supper,
allowing for joint worship and an exchangeability of members; a mutual
recognition and availability of ordained ministers to the service of all
members of churches in full communion, subject only but always to the
disciplinary regulations of the other churches; a common commitment to
evangelism, witness and service; a means of common decision making on
critical common issues of faith and life; and a mutual lifting of any
condemnations that exist between churches.
     A round of Lutheran-Episcopal dialogues that began in 1983
developed a proposal for full communion between the two churches, "The
Concordat of Agreement," and issued it in 1991.
     A convention of the Episcopal Church approved the Concordat in
1997.  The proposal failed to win a two-thirds majority of the ELCA
assembly that year by six votes.  The assembly asked that the Concordat
be revised, taking its debate into account and clarifying the technical
language of the dialogue.  CCM was issued in November 1998 as that
revision.
     "'Called to Common Mission' builds on the consensus of the 1997
assembly and ably addresses the concerns that emerged during
consideration of the 'Concordat of Agreement,'" said Bishops Hansen,
Miller, Rimbo and Stuck.  They called CCM "an understanding and
accessible document."
     "Most importantly 'Called to Common Mission' lays the foundation
for greater collaboration in mission ... for the purpose of proclaiming
more effectively the gospel of Jesus Christ," the four bishops added.
     Three bishops, in the same regions as the fifteen who signed
statements supporting CCM recently, did not sign the statements:
Bishops Leonard H. Bolick (North Carolina Synod), Callon W. Holloway Jr.
(Southern Ohio Synod) and Marcus C. Lohrmann (Northwestern Ohio Synod).
     When the Conference of Bishops outlined its understandings and
expectations of CCM in March, it decided not to affirm or endorse the
proposal, said Bolick.  He said he did not sign a statement of support
for CCM based on the conference's action.
     Holloway said he has strong thoughts about CCM but wanted to
operate in the spirit of the Conference of Bishops' actions.  He said he
has shared his thoughts with pastors and lay leaders of his synod.
     "Bishops should be working very hard right now to make sure we can
work together as a church whether 'Called to Common Mission' passes or
fails," said Holloway.  "The best way to do that is to help the healing
process and not to charge the political process."
     Lohrmann said he is not necessarily against CCM but felt he needed
more time for reflection before deciding how he will vote.  He said he
still has some unanswered questions to consider.  "Will the historic
episcopate work to enhance the ministry of the ELCA?" he asked.
     The ELCA Churchwide Assembly will vote on the proposal for full
communion with the Episcopal Church when it meets Aug. 16-22 in Denver.

EDITORS: The full text of "Called to Common Mission" is located at
http://www.elca.org/ea/proposal/text.html

For information contact: