From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA ON Pavle's Repentance Call

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 02 Jul 1999 13:52:52

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
E-Mail: news@ncccusa.org; Web: www.ncccusa.org

NCC HAILS COURAGE OF PAVLE'S PLANNED CALL FOR REPENTANCE

77NCC7/2/99  FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

 NEW YORK, July 2 - National Council of Churches General
Secretary Joan Brown Campbell today hailed Serbian Orthodox
Patriarch Pavle's announced intention to call on his nation to
confess its wrong as a necessary precursor for reconciliation.

"His courage to say this in Belgrade has the potential of
creating an atmosphere where peace might happen," said the Rev. Dr.
Campbell, who was co-leader with Jesse Jackson of the interfaith
mission to Belgrade in late April-early May that secured the release
of the three captured U.S. soldiers.  "It's a bold move."

The London Guardian (June 25, 1999) reported that "Serbia's
wall of denial surrounding war crimes in Kosovo is about to be
smashed by the Serbian Orthodox Church, which plans to tell its
flock that the nation's soul is stained with the blood of ethnic
Albanians.  Church leaders will return from the province to Belgrade
and defy the Yugoslav president, Slobodan Milosevic, by publicly
admitting that Serb forces committed widespread atrocities .

"Since arriving in Kosovo last week, the head of the church,
Patriarch Pavle, has been shocked by evidence of murders, tortures
and expulsions.  He and his bishops have decided to break the
silence by declaring some of their countrymen guilty of horrific
crimes.  Luka Novakovic, dean at the church's library in Belgrade,
said the church hierarchy would make an announcement at a press
conference in the Yugoslav capital next week, regardless of
government threats.

"'At our services on Sunday (July 4) our priests will be able
to tell the people about what happened in Kosovo,' the deacon said.
`We have learned that some Serbs did terrible things in Kosovo, and
admitting that is the first step in changing things for the better.
It will not be possible to keep it a secret, not any more.  Society
will know about it..It is our duty.  It is important for a country
to know the truth.  It has to know, otherwise it will just continue
on without confessing.  Denying it is not going to save souls."

-end-
 -0-