From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Meghan Davis provides youth perspective on UCC Synod

From George Conklin <gconklin@wfn.org>
Date 06 Jul 1999 13:07:35

United Church of Christ
Office of Communication
700 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
contact: Barbara Powell
phone: 216-736-2222
email: powellb@ucc.org
http://www.ucc.org

PROVIDENCE, RI - July 6 1999 -
by Meghan Davis
        “This is a good, symbolic act. It is good to acknowledge that we have
done wrong in the past,” said Bennie Whiten at the “An Act of Repentance for
African American Slavery and A Celebration of Human Freedom” (what a mouthful!)
service in Abbott Park. It was graciously hosted by Beneficent Congregational
UCC in Providence.
        I think that this is yet another step in the right direction of healing
the wounds, instead of just covering them up with a BandAid. Slavery, by any
race over any race, is revolting. Dr. Prathia Hall, in her sermon on Sunday,
said, “Until genocide  physical, mental, legal and social  is confronted, until
there is redemption and restoration, these demons will continually plague us
and haunt every good and decent thing we attempt.”
        So, I place this challenge on my generation. We, as the cliche
goes, are
the future: we must continue to work for justice, for equality. And,
eventually,
for peace, which will come only as the product of the latter two.
        We must remember that tolerance is not enough. If we work hard and long
just for people to put up with each other, we will be downplaying our
potential.
        The road to a nearperfect society will be difficult, not to mention
bumpy, but I know that even if we don’t fully achieve our common goal, we will
move the world a lot closer to it.
        And we will understand more fully the famous quote from the late Dr.
Martin Luther King Jr., “Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, we’re
free at last!”