From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC General Synod 22 closes with worship, Michael Kinnamon preaches

From George Conklin <gconklin@wfn.org>
Date 08 Jul 1999 09:07:10

United Church of Christ
Office of Communication
700 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
contact: Barbara Powell
phone: 216-736-2222
email: powellb@ucc.org
http://www.ucc.org

PROVIDENCE, RI - July 6 1999 -
‘Such a time as this ... a good time to be the church’
by Curt Miller
        “We have spoken many words. We have thought many words. We have heard
many words. The days have been long, and we are tired,” prayed the Rev. David
Hirano, executive director of the United Church Board for World Ministries,
during worship at the close of General Synod 22.
        The Rev. Michael Kinnamon  one last time  interpreted the General Synod
theme, maintaining that “such a time as this” is a good time  a good time to be
the church.
        Kinnamon, a minister of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ),
preached the GS22 closing worship message.  He is director of the Center for
Lay Education and Ecumenical Leadership, Lexington, Ky.
        For nearly two centuries, the church generally defined mission as “that
which we pay to  someone do for us among ‘those people over there,’” he
observed. But in the waning days of the 20th century the church is learning
“again that all congregations are missionary communities,” said Kinnamon.
        At times, Kinnamon said, the church has borne visible witness that
“Jesus Christ is not a sufficient center to unite us as one people.” Christian
unity has taken a back seat to haggling over orders of ministry and methods of
baptism.  But lately, denominational boundaries are becoming more porous and
“it has become just plain hard to say that ‘ours is the only way.’”
        “There is, in my experience, a new resolve to teach the biblical story
to ourselves and our children,” said Kinnamon. The church is learning to be
inclusive. It’ s beginning to repent of racism, sexism and homophobia. It is
discovering a prophetic voice. For all those reasons “isn’t this a great time
to be the church?” Kinnamon asked.
        The Disciples ecumenist drew on the second chapter of Galatians (114)
for the heart of his message on Christian freedom and unity. Paul is beside
himself, arguing that Gentiles are not only saved by grace through Christ, but
are entitled to full community. Grace transcends the law. “Enemies are now
bound together by shared faith in Christ, creating an unheardof community whose
visible sign is table fellowship,” preached Kinnamon.
        Paul insists his opponents’ position that obligation (the law) leads to
freedom is backwards.  “You are accepted! You are loved! You are set free! Now
live as those whose lives are marked by freedom,” Kinnamon interpreted.
“Obligation doesn’t lead to freedom, but freedom leads freely to obligation.”
        The church should never sidestep the social implications of the Gospel,
said Kinnamon. “Our distinctive temptation, however, may be to so emphasize the
social dimensions of freedom that we overlook the spiritual  and Galatians
reminds us that they cannot be separated,” he said.
        Kinnamon suggested that freedom and unity are, at times, played against
one another. But they, too, are inseparable gifts of grace.  “If we would be an
ecumenical people, then we will work for freedom. If we would be a
freedomoriented people, then we will live in unity. Freedom will lead to
fragmentation  chaos  unless it is coupled with a recognition of our given
unity,” said Kinnamon.
        In a world filled with oppression, the church must be passionate about
the gift of freedom. In a physically and spiritually fragmented world, the
church must be passionate about the gift of unity.
        “When I think of the United Church of Christ, a theme from a past World
Council of Churches assembly comes immediately to mind: ‘Jesus Christ frees and
unites.’  This must be  our passionate witness for such a time as this,”
Kinnamon concluded.
        Worship came to a close with a “ritual of giveaway” adapted from a
Native American custom.
Representatives from the present instrumentalities gave symbolic gifts to the
officerselect of the new covenanted ministries.  Quilts, sculptures and
historic carvings, communion plates, an original poster  and even estate
records were given  each with good wishes and an explanation of the symbolism
of the gift.
        While admitting to weariness in his closing worship prayer, Hirano also
offer profound thanks: “... and yet God, in these days and hours you have been
Word to us,” he prayed. “You have shown us your grace and love. You have been
present to us. For this we are grateful.”