From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

UCC General Synod youth steward proud to be UCC

From George Conklin <gconklin@wfn.org>
Date 09 Jul 1999 13:22:07

United Church of Christ
Office of Communication
700 Prospect Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44115
contact: Barbara Powell
phone: 216-736-2222
email: powellb@ucc.org
http://www.ucc.org

PROVIDENCE, RI - July 6 1999 -
Youth Steward ‘Proud to be UCC’
by Pam Smith
        Katelyn Macrae, from First Parish Congregational UCC in Saco, Maine,
temporarily left her position as a Youth Steward Monday  morning to applaud the
General Synod “for encouraging the involvement of young people in the church.”
A member of her congregation’s Diaconate, Youth Group and Retreat Planning
Committee, she says she had no idea the national church had such interest in
and influence on important social issues.
        “I knew what ONA was and that the UCC has historically opened its doors
for all,” she said. “Yet as a youth, I was unsure of my place in the local
church. General Synod 22 has opened my eyes.”
        When Jonathan Kozol pointed out that it is no longer “cool to be
liberal,” Macrae was struck anew with pride for “how involved the UCC is in the
life of local people and in trying to help them.”
        In spite of a hectic schedule of “plenary, lunch, plenary, dinner,
plenary, and then I’m going to the dance,” Macrae found time to go to
Beneficent UCC early this morning and participate in the vigil preceding the
dedication of a bell of freedom in Abbott Park.
        Macrae says she’s “proud to call the UCC home,” and hopes the church
continues to encourage youth involvement in the national and local settings.
She encourages local nominating committees to “follow the national example and
consider people under twentyone.”
        Although she knows the denominational goal of 20 percent youth
representation on all committees may not be realistic for all local
congregations, Macrae urges them, “At least try!”
        Macrae’s advice for delegates? “Take what you’ve learned here at
General
Synod back to your own church!”