From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Women Receive Greetings from ELCA Men and Others

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 10 Jul 1999 09:42:22

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 10, 1999

ELCA WOMEN RECEIVE GREETINGS FROM ELCA MEN AND OTHERS
99-WO-10-MR

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA) -- "We believe that -- when Christian women and
men work together, shoulder to shoulder -- our families, our communities
and our congregations benefit," Charlie Schwartz, president for Lutheran
Men in Mission (LMM), told 4,000 participants of the Fourth Triennial
Convention of Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA).
     The convention is meeting July 8-11 here at the America's Center.
The organization's three-year theme, "Live God's Justice," is unveiled
at the convention amid Bible study, keynote addresses, workshops,
business sessions and elections.
     "We must continue to seek ways to serve and work together as
Christian women and men.  When we work and serve together, it is a
witness to the rest of the church and the world," said Schwartz.
     Schwartz said LMM considers it a "privilege" to work with Women of
the ELCA on "Women and Children Living in Poverty" and "Stop the
Violence: Healing Hurting Families" programs.
     LMM is the men's organization of the ELCA.  "The focus of Lutheran
Men in Mission is to build men's faith, relationships and ministry
through gathering, resources and leadership development -- goals similar
to those of the women's organization," Schwartz said.
     Kathleen Hurty, general director for Church Women United, also
addressed participants.  "I greet you from and on behalf of your
ecumenical sisters ... each with many stories to tell, and from all
women whose lives are committed to living out Christ's prayer that all
may be one."
     Church Women United is a Christian women's movement based on
prayer, ecumenical worship and celebration, Bible study, advocacy and
action, said Hurty.  "We are Protestant, Reformed Church, Orthodox and
other Christian women who share stories of living God's justice in local
communities, nationally and globally."
     "To be Lutheran is to be ecumenical, for we are one in Christ, but
you can't be ecumenical alone.  So, I am grateful for the ecumenical
stories represented by these sisters and for your stories of commitment
and concern.  The world is made up not of atoms but of stories," Hurty
said.
     Other guests introduced at the Women of the ELCA's convention
include Dr. Addie J. Butler, ELCA vice president; the Rev. Lowell G.
Almen, ELCA secretary; the Rev. Andrea DeGroot-Nesdahl, bishop of the
ELCA South Dakota Synod, Sioux Falls; and the Rev. April C. Ulring
Larson, bishop of the ELCA LaCrosse Area Synod, LaCrosse, Wis.
     Other introductions included the Rev. Paul J. Blom, bishop of the
ELCA Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod; the Rev. Gary L. Hansen, bishop
of the ELCA North/West Lower Michigan Synod; the Rev. Gregory R. Pile,
bishop of the ELCA Allegheny Synod; the Rev. David C. Wold, bishop of
the ELCA Southwestern Washington Synod; the Rev. Alton Zenker, bishop of
the ELCA Central/Southern Illinois Synod; and other officers of the ELCA
were introduced.
     ELCA Presiding Bishop H. George Anderson and his wife, Jutta, will
formally greet participants July 10.

For information contact: