From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Women Are Children of God, Says Youth Representative

From News News <news@ELCA.ORG>
Date 10 Jul 1999 19:09:52

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 10, 1999

ELCA WOMEN ARE CHILDREN OF GOD, SAYS YOUTH REPRESENTATIVE
99-WO-16-LS

     ST. LOUIS (ELCA) -- "We are all children of a just and loving
father," Mary Elizabeth Pfeiffer, 20, told 4,000 participants of the
Fourth Triennial Convention of the Women of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA).  Pfeiffer, a board member of the ELCA Lutheran
Youth Organization, brought greetings on behalf of the LYO.
     The convention is meeting here July 8-11 at the America's Center.
The organization's three-year theme, "Live God's Justice," is unveiled
at the convention amid Bible study, keynote addresses, workshops,
business sessions and elections.
     "It is tricky to grow up in a post-modern culture," Pfeiffer said.
"Children are acting like teenagers, teenagers are forced to take on
roles of adults and, too often, our leaders and public figures behave
like children."
     The lines between childhood and adulthood are often blurred,
Pfeiffer said.  Yet, what matters most is the strength of commitment,
she said.
     "For you and I, that commitment is the same.  Youth and adult
alike, we are the church, committed to do what the Lord requires of us.
To do justice, love kindness and walk humbly, children of God," said
Pfeiffer.
     LYO is governed by a 16-member board including one representative
from the Definitely Abled Committee, one representative from the
Multicultural Advisory Committee and two advisory members. The board
meets twice each year.
     "LYO is the voice from the youth to the churchwide organization,"
said Pfeiffer. The board deals with issues the youth have brought to its
attention as needs or concerns, she said.
     A new board is elected every three years at the organization's
national gathering. The next gathering, "Dancing at the Crossroads,"
will be held here in June and July, 2000.
     Pfeiffer is originally from Bullhead City, Ariz.  She will be a
junior studying art history this fall at California Lutheran University,
Thousand Oaks, Calif., a college of the ELCA.

For information contact: