From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

(CPSA Synod) Reactions to Archbishop's Charge

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 14 Jul 1999 16:25:33

Anglican Church of the Province of Southern Africa

Conversations with Odie Steyn, Media Team
Comments on the Archbishop's Charge and the Synod:

Norman Bryant, Cape Town
"The Archbishop gave a fairly thorough overview of the main political
issues of the world that impinge daily on our Church; issues of
major concern; violence on women, AIDS, and the issues of church
unity were dealt with as these can help the church at large to grow
in various ways."

The Bishop of Zululand
"I hope we can come away with firm ideas and solutions to crises
that arise, such as AIDSand HIV. Better education is needed in
these matters."

The Bishop of Kimberley and Kuruman
"The concept of unity and diversity must be taken seriously in
Southern Africa."

The Bishop of Lesotho
"We are challenged - we must go back home to implement some
of these challenges, especially those on poverty and
unemployment. People must be encouraged to start small
business projects, promote self employment and strive towards
improving their lot."

Michael Roussouw, Kimberley and Kuruman
"These are very relevant issues in the life of the church today.
Poverty and Human Sexuality - we cannot put on blinkers when
addressing them....there is a rich diversity in this gathering."

The Bishop-Designate of St. Helena
"It is important that the Church wrestles with situations that
arise within the province, remembering that each has different
priorities. The charge gave us good issues to help resolve".

Fr Lincoln Makhubu,  The Parish of Christ Church, Diocese of Natal.

"It is a blessing to  be here as   this is  the last  Synod of the
century; an opportunity  to  communicate to the Anglican
Communion how best to move foreward with the true Church of
Church".

Commenting on the Archbishop's Charge Fr Lincoln expressed his
concern for the Youth of the Country.
"The role of bishops, clergy,  laity and parents is crucial in
strenghthening the foundations of Youth ministry.  Ways must be
found to empower the Youth to be fully functional in the life of the
Church."

Item submitted by the CPSA Provincial Synod Media Team
Synod meeting in Durban, Diocese of Natal, South Africa

Tel  +27 (31) 260 2445  --  Fax  +27 (31) 260 1633
http://www.cpsa.org.za/ -- cvd@letterbox.com
Visit our web site for all Synod related information