From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Bishop of Jordan Addresses U.S. Arab and Middle Eastern Lutherans

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 23 Jul 1999 14:36:04

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

July 23, 1999

LUTHERAN BISHOP OF JORDAN ADDRESSES U.S. ARAB AND
MIDDLE EASTERN LUTHERANS
99-184-ES**

     BROOKLYN, N.Y. (ELCA) -- The Christian Bible says "the Holy Spirit
was poured out upon all nations in Jerusalem.  Everyone here goes back to
that first church," the Rev. Munib A. Younan, bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Jordan (ELCJ), told the Association of Lutherans of Arab
and Middle Eastern Heritage (ALAMEH) at its Third General Assembly here
July 5-7.  ALAMEH is an association of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA).
     In his keynote address Younan, whose ministry extends to Palestine,
Jordan and Israel, addressed the role of ALAMEH in the 2000-year-old
history of Christianity in the Middle East and the challenges facing the
Arab and Middle Eastern church as it moves into the year 2000.
     "The most important epochs in Christianity happened in the Middle
East," Younan said. He named several critical periods and described the
"epoch of the Seven Councils" as "the best time Christianity experienced in
its history.  In times of persecution, Christianity flourished and grew."
     The Islamic period allowed a good relationship between Christianity
and Islam.  "Christians and Muslims were in dialogue in the Middle East.
The dialogue we have today with Muslims goes back to the 7th through 9th
centuries," Younan said.  "During this Islamic period Christians lived in a
dignified way.  It was a golden period for Christians."
     "The Crusades and the advent of the missionary changed that," Younan
continued.  "The Crusades brought deterioration and created a gap between
the local Christians and Muslims.  The missionaries were responsible for
establishing churches.  It was in the time of the 19th century that we saw
the birth of the Lutheran, Anglican and Presbyterian churches. But the
Turkish regime, which allowed the missionaries into the region, encouraged
negative competition."
     Younan spoke also of the current age.  "We can't erase history, but
we can learn from history.  We can construct and build a better future.
Christians in the Middle East are still suffering from their history.  If
we talk about the contemporary period, we see this pain as the catalyst of
the emigration from the Middle East of many Christians.  We look at
terrible events -- 1948 when Palestinians were dispersed, the war in Iraq.
It was Christians who emigrated during these times."  The continuous
emigration of Christian Arabs for social and economic reasons caused them
to leave home, heritage, history and their most sacred places.
     "We have a crisis on the concept of Arab nationality.  Many do not
know of the existence of a Christian church," Younan said.  He illustrated
this with a story of his entering the United States this week.  "When I
arrived at the customs desk, a man was checking passports.  He couldn't
believe I was from Israel and a Christian.  He couldn't connect the two
ideas."  This need for a Christian Arab identity led participants into the
second part of Younan's address -- the challenge for the contemporary
Christian church.
     One challenge the church faces is to proclaim that "Arab Christianity
is a shrinking minority."  Arabic Christianity has its roots in the Middle
East and has a prophetic role there.  "It is the salt in society and the
leaven in the dough," said Younan.
     "As we enter the year 2000, we must have this mentality.  We must
encourage the creation of a Christian Arabic identity and the sense of
belonging to the community.  We have a problem in that our sense of
belonging is very weak.  Anything can shake us.  We've become strangers,
not compatriots.  Our Christian identity is in crisis.  Political turmoil
stirs up and encourages us to leave everything and emigrate," said Younan.
     He continued, "This is why I'm an advocate of creating a contextual
theology.  Arab Lutheran, Arab Orthodox, Arab Anglican, Arab Catholic --
what does it mean?  If this is not clarified, then the crisis is
perspective and there is no solution.  "Arabization" is essential, because
our roots go back to the Bible."
     "Another challenge is the important role of education.  We must open
and operate Christian Arab schools.  If there are no schools, there will be
no Christianity.  If we don't maintain schools, we lose our witness."
     Why should we have schools? Younan asked.  "To maintain Christian
Arabic identity.  Schools encourage and teach openness.  Schools teach and
encourage Christian and Muslim dialogue.  They terminate fundamentalism and
fanaticism, teaching a balanced opinion about one another."
     Younan said it was not only important to educate the young but all
people and the government as well.
     A study of the new Palestinian curricula, for example, inspired
Younan to write an article about the curricula from the Christian
perspective.  The patriarchs and bishops in Jerusalem adopted this article
as a basis document for negotiation with the education department, which
was very positive.  "This is the role we must assert in the Middle East.
Even if the role is minute, if our numbers are little, we must encourage
Christian identity in the Middle East through all avenues," asserted
Younan.
     "Another challenge is the actualization of the ecumenical movement,"
said  Younan.  "There are four recognized families of churches in
Palestine.  We need to have leadership to push the agenda of the church and
leave doctrinal differences to the theologians.  The primary item on the
agenda is social justice.   We can die together or live together," said
Younan.  He said the ecumenical movement goes slowly.
     In April of this year, at a general assembly in Lebanon, all but one
of the families of churches agreed to adopt a joint, mutual version of the
Lord's Prayer and Nicene Creed.  There are three separate dates for
Christmas and two separate dates for Easter among Christians in this area.
They are discussing movement to one date for each Christian holiday.
     "It will mean a lot to our witness in the Middle East to have a joint
celebration of Christmas and Easter," he said.  "Arab countries respect us
as Christians.  They respect us and ask our demands.  We have to take
advantage of this and work together.  We have to live with Muslims.  To
live life as frightened or whispering behind backs is no way to live.  We
must be frank and speak what we think, even to our Muslim brothers and
sisters.  We must have perpetual dialogue, clear vision and objectivity in
laying the basis of discussion.  The churches in the Arab world must be
interdependent with one another, yet maintain their independence from the
Western church, which would impose its own leadership on the church."
     "What is the active role of Christians in community ... in nation
building?"  asked Younan.  "They have the role of reconciliation and
justice.  There are those who would say, 'Oh leave it alone, you are
endangering your family or yourself.'  But if I'm silent, the stones will
speak," he said.
     "As we move into the year 2000, we have to talk to one another.
Christian-Jewish relationships are very significant," Younan said.
     "We must coordinate relationships among local Arab churches and the
church in diaspora.  We need to support the indigenous remnants of churches
in Jerusalem," Younan told the assembled.  "Do not listen to criticism by
some of those in the United States about problems of the church in the
Middle East.  You have to support your mother church.  If we cease to
exist, there are no longer Arab Christians."
     Younan told participants, "You have important roles here.  You must
have a sensitive commitment about these matters wherever you live.  You
must promote awareness about the difficulties and hardships we face.
People are listening, but they haven't yet heard the prophetic voice coming
out of you."
     "We are in pain and we are harmed by sects that come with the
apocalyptic movements," he said.  Younan explained that there is a
"dangerous thread running through these movements, proclaiming that the
land from which Christ comes and to which he will return is the land of the
Jews.  Others are not welcomed in Jerusalem."  "Therefore," Younan said,
"we have to join hands with local Arabs and our Western sisters and
brothers in Europe and the United States to combat these weird, sectarian
movements."
     "Finally,I am optimistic about Christian Arab identity in the Middle
East.  The Christ who put us there will never forsake us.  But Christ needs
us to work together to administer the message of salvation.  I am very
happy that the ELCA takes us seriously and very happy for the work done
here among Arabs and Middle Easterners through the ELCA.  The ELCJ thinks
of ALAMEH as a new-born babe, growing hand-in-hand with the major work
going on in America.  We need your support and your  prayers here and we
will do the action there," Younan said.

[** Eileen Smith chairs the communication committee for the ELCA
           Metropolitan New York Synod, New York.]

For information contact: