From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist Church Leaders Visit Kosovo

From "Christian B. Schäffler" <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 13 Aug 1999 23:57:51

August 13, 1999
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist Church Leaders Visit Kosovo

Pristina, Kosovo/APD     Dr. Bertil Wiklander, president of the
Seventh-day Adventist Church's Trans-European Division, visited
Pristina, Kosovo on July 18 together with Dr. Radisa Antic, president
of the South-East European Union, and Pastor Slavko Tasic,
president of the South Conference in Yugoslavia.

The journey was long and difficult from Belgrade, since many roads
and bridges had been destroyed.  In some places, it was necessary
to cross the river on a provisional pontoon bridge built by the
military.

The visiting leaders were driven into Kosovo by Pastor Nikola
Aslimovski. Aslimovski decided to remain with his family in Pristina
during the conflict and, in so doing, saved the church building from
destruction.  He and his family slept in the basement for two
months with only bread to eat for a month.

At one time, a paramilitary Serbian group knocked on the church
door, but after some discussion they left the family alone.  The
marks they left on the front door are still visible.  The Aslimovski
family are now housing a number of ADRA (Adventist Development
and Relief Agency) workers and assist with the program to help
people back to a normal life in the local community.

"ADRA is doing an impressive work under difficult circumstances,"
comments Wiklander.  "Four programs have already been funded by
donor organizations: community services, education, water, and
health.  Funding for an agricultural project is pending.  Thus, ADRA
is preparing the schools for the children, so they can open in
September; it provides shelter for the homeless (while the group
visited ADRA's headquarters, British tanks stopped outside and
loaded ADRA tents); mobile health clinics are in operation; and the
water wells are restored.  The aim now is to provide at least one
room for each family which will protect them against the cold
winter."

Forty people from 10 nations are working with ADRA/Kosovo, and
more are due to arrive in the near future.  Paul Dulhunty from
Australia said, "The devastation and the loss of loved ones is still
the thing that is most crushing.  Please, pray for us!"

On his return, Dr. Wiklander commented on what he had seen.  "I
was very impressed and grateful for what I saw ADRA doing in
Kosovo," said Wiklander.  "We will now plan with the local church
leadership for an evangelistic campaign in our church in Pristina in
February next year.  The Trans-European Division has already set
aside Global Mission funds for that important event.  Our dream is
to see God's kingdom move forward-even in Kosovo."  [98/12/02]