From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Humor, Collegiality and Good Will Prevail at Foundation Dinner

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:22:48

GA99028
21-June-1999

            Humor, Collegiality and Good Will Prevail
                      at Foundation Dinner

FORT WORTH-Modeling the kind of collegiality called for by outgoing
moderator Douglas Oldenburg in the opening worship service of the 211th
General Assembly, 16 former moderators shared their hearts and their
stories at a dinner given in their honor by the Presbyterian Church (USA)
Foundation, Sunday, June 20.
     In a moving response to the question posed by Presbyterian Foundation
Board chairman John Evans, the Rev. C. Kenneth Hall (1988) cited the
collegiality of the group of former moderators as among the most
significant elements that would influence the church as it moves into the
next century.  "We like each other and we enjoy each other," said Hall,
"without compromising each other's convictions."  For Hall, and clearly for
the audience of 100 Foundation trustees, staff, General Assembly staff and
invited guests, this unique event powerfully witnessed to the denomination
that there can be unity in the midst of diversity.
     Present to receive the affirmation of a church grateful for their
service and witness were Clinton Marsh (1973), William Lytle and Sara
Moseley (1978), Dorothy Barnard (1981), John F.  Anderson and James Costen
(1982), Benjamin Weir (1986), C. Kenneth Hall (1988), Price H.  Gwynn
(1990), Herbert Valentine (1991), David Dobler (1993), Robert Bohl (1994),
Marj Carpenter (1995), John Buchanan (1996) and Patricia Brown (1997).
     Their responses ranged from the poetic, in Sara Moseley's vision of a
quiet stream representing Presbyterian faithfulness throughout this last
century, to the profound, in Patricia Brown's moving call to the church to
develop and cultivate its leaders as she related her own testimony of a
lifetime of church service which emerged from a "lifetime of being
different." "We have an obligation," said Brown, "to honor and to use this
experience, to use this perspective."
     "As a newcomer to denominational leadership," remarked R. James
Henderson, interim president of the Foundation, "it was positively
thrilling and uplifting to sit in the presence of these former moderators.
The annual dinner is a treasured tradition of the Foundation and a part of
our continuing efforts to keep the denomination connected across all lines
and, in this case, across time lines."
Emily Enders Odom

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org