From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[] #5369

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:24:30

GA99003     Council Divided Against Itself Lets Stand
                  an Award to a Lesbian Activist

FORT WORTH   By a single vote, the General Assembly Council (GAC) of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) upheld the decision of its executive committee
to allow a lesbian minister to receive a prestigious award during the 1999
General Assembly here.

     The 41-40 secret-ballot vote to permit the presentation of one of the
annual Women of Faith Awards to the Rev. Jane Spahr of San Rafael, Calif.,
an evangelist who   contrary to long- standing PC(USA) policy   advocates
for the ordination of gays and lesbians, came after a central California
presbytery petitioned the council to rescind Spahr's award.

     In presenting its motion, San Joaquin Presbytery acknowledged that the
Women of Faith dispute is "one of those 'no-win' situations."

     Spahr is one of three 1999 recipients for an award that was first
presented in 1920 when U.S. women won the right to vote. The awards will be
presented during an annual breakfast scheduled for June 20, the morning
after the Assembly convenes.

     The narrow margin of the council's vote prompted its 87 members to
approve a "pastoral letter" to the Assembly insisting that the vote was not
an endorsement of  "anyone's position for or against the policies and
standards of our Church." In the letter, the GAC acknowledges that the
"absence of unanimity" among its members reflects a sharp division of
opinion in the wider church.

      "We know that many will not agree with our decision, will be hurt and
angered by our action," the council said in its letter. "We acknowledge the
disagreement, hurt and anger, and regret it. But we also thank God that we
are able to disagree, strongly and vigorously, and still hold on to one
another in Christ. We even dare to believe the Holy Spirit is leading us
and teaching us how to be one body in spite of our differences and
conflicts."

     The statement notes that the GAC accepts "full responsibility" for an
"inadequate" process for choosing recipients of the award, and has
appointed a task force to review the procedures for all awards given under
GAC auspices.

      The two other Women of Faith Award honorees are the Rev. Jane Dempsey
Douglas of Claremont, Calif., a professor of historical theology emerita at
Princeton Theological Seminary; and the Rev. Letty M. Russell of Gilford,
Conn., a professor of theology at Yale Divinity School, who is also openly
lesbian.

     Referring to a vociferously debated amendment that was added to the
PC(USA) constitution in 1996 to prohibit the ordination of gays and
lesbians, Donn Cobb of San Joaquin Presbytery   reading from a letter from
his presbytery's General Council   asked the GAC: "Why are we honoring
women who openly are defying our constitution? Why are we honoring women
who refuse to accept the decision of the whole? Is there not one
Presbyterian woman who is abiding by our constitution, that we could
honor?"

     Spahr's award was withdrawn just days after she was notified of her
selection by a five- member committee representing the Women's Ministries
Program Area of the National Ministries Division (NMD), the Advocacy
Committee for Women's Concerns and the Association of Presbyterian Church
Educators. The division's steering committee decided, after the NMD
director called the award into question, that it should be rescinded. That
decision was overruled weeks later when the GAC's executive committee voted
9-2 to allow the decision of the selection committee to stand. The GAC
executive committee also established a task force to review the policies
and procedures for choosing recipients of all awards that fall within the
scope of the council's work.

     Cobb said his presbytery singled out Spahr in its resolution because
the controversy first erupted around her and because many members know her
from her work on the West Coast.

     Shenango Presbytery in Pennsylvania also protested the executive
committee's decision to allow Spahr to receive the award.  Shenango sent a
resolution to the council asking that it declare the action of its
executive committee unconstitutional   something that GAC parliamentarian
Mary Ellen Lawson said is not within the GAC's authority.

     Gerry McElree of Shenango Presbytery   where several sessions
reportedly are contemplating judicial action against the GAC   told the
council that she has seen an increase in trust on the congregational level
in the past three years, thanks to elected and staff leadership at the
national level.  "But if we uphold the decision of the executive committee,
I regret to say there will be  a terrific backlash," said McElree, who
predicted that some churches will withhold money and others will leave the
denomination.

     "It takes a lifetime to build trust," she said, "and only one action
to destroy it."

     The Rev. Warren Barnes of the Synod of the Pacific reiterated the
executive committee's statement that its decision to proceed with the Spahr
award was based not on the merits of the recipient, but on the selection
process itself. "This starts the body down a slippery, dangerous slope: a
litmus test for whom the church may recognize," Barnes said of attempts to
keep Spahr from receiving the award.

      He said it is dangerous to deviate from established procedure because
of discomfort "with the results of the procedure."

     The Rev. Bill Chapman of Palisades Presbytery read Matthew 13: 24-30
to the council, a familiar warning that plucking weeds may unwittingly
destroy wheat for the harvest. "We're always going to find ourselves in
this exact spot: How to tell the weeds from the wheat," he said.

     In its letter to the Assembly, the council described its debate as
"truly an example of the unity of Christ's body at its best   differing
opinions, strongly held, but committed to one another in the love of
Christ."

     The initial draft of the letter was composed by the Rev. John Buchanan
of Chicago, a former General Assembly moderator; the Rev. Jeff Bridgeman of
Solvang, Calif.; the Rev. Cathy Chisholm of Vandalia, Ill., the GAC chair;
the Rev. Roberto "Beto" Delgado of Denton, Texas, chair of the NMD
committee; and Jinny Miller of Mishawaka, Ind., a former Women of Faith
Award winner.

Alexa Smith

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org