From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Southern African Churches Boost Efforts for Peace in Congo

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 15 Aug 1999 16:24:50

27-May-1999
99199

    Southern African Churches Boost Efforts for Peace in Congo

    by Eunice Mafundikwa
    Ecumenical News International

HARARE, Zimbabwe - Churches in Southern Africa have agreed to step up their
efforts to bring peace to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) where an
insurrection by rebels opposed to the government of President Laurent
Kabila erupted nine months ago.

    The rebels are supported by Rwanda and Uganda, while Zimbabwe, Angola,
Chad and Namibia have sent troops to fight alongside President Kabila's
forces.

    At a meeting in Lusaka, Zambia, on April 27, the Fellowship of Councils
of Churches in Eastern and Southern Africa, in consultation with the All
Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) - the continent's leading ecumenical
organization - decided to visit key political leaders involved in the DRC
conflict.

    "This visit should be two-pronged, assuming a church-to-church and
church-to-state methodology," according to a communique issued at the end
of the meeting.

    The meeting also welcomed the cease-fire agreement signed in Libya last
month by President Kabila and by Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni.  The
peace deal, brokered by Libyan leader Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, envisages
the deployment of African peace-keepers, but has been rejected by Rwanda
and the rebels, who did not participate in the talks.

    Further peace talks are scheduled in June in Rome, sponsored by the
Sant'Egidio community, a Christian peace organization which has
successfully mediated in disputes in
several parts of the world.

    "At the level of church to state we undertake to write a letter to
President Kabila and express our gratitude to him for the consultation due
to take place in Italy," the communique states.  "We encourage other
leaders who are party to this conflict to do the same thing.  We also
undertake to write another letter to the churches in the DRC and express
our solidarity with their efforts in finding peace," the communique said.

    The fellowship committed itself to setting up a regional and
continental committee of eminent church leaders to represent the church
community in Africa at national, regional and
international forums.

    "The committee thus created should seek co-ordination of information
and activities relating to the crisis in order to avoid duplication."

    The Lusaka meeting was attended by ecumenical church councils from
Angola, Malawi, Mozambique, Swaziland and Zimbabwe, as well as the Zambia
Episcopal Conference, the Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia, the Mindolo
Ecumenical Foundation, the AACC and clergy
from the DRC.

    The Zimbabwe Council of Churches (ZCC) and the AACC are also planning a
meeting with selected clergy from the DRC to identify methods of
influencing peace initiatives.

    "I can confirm we are planning such a meeting, but I am afraid I cannot
give details because we are still at the planning stage," ZCC's general
secretary, Densen Mafinyane, told ENI.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org