From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Assembly Receives Young Adult Convocation Report

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 24 Aug 1999 10:33:40

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

August 24, 1999

ELCA ASSEMBLY RECEIVES YOUNG ADULT CONVOCATION REPORT
99-CWA-63-MR

     DENVER (ELCA) -- "If it were not for the convocation, a smaller
percentage of young adults would be present," Arthur Norman told the
1999 Churchwide Assembly of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA).  Norman, ELCA Texas-Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod, helped deliver
the young adult convocation report to the assembly, Aug. 21.
     The churchwide assembly, the chief legislative authority of the
ELCA, met Aug. 16-22 here at the Colorado Convention Center.  There were
more than 2,500 people participating, including 1,038 voting members.
The theme for the biennial assembly was "Making Christ Known: Hope for a
New Century."
     "The mission of the young adult convocation is to inspire and
equip young adults for leadership roles in evangelism, discipleship and
ministry in our setting," said Norman.
     More than 20 Lutherans from ages 25 to 35 participated in the
convocation.  This is the second consecutive young adult convocation in
conjunction with an ELCA churchwide assembly.  Four members of the
convocation opened the report by singing "Amazing Grace" to a jazz
setting.
     "We love Jesus and we love relationships more than churches, but
we understand that the church is a place to praise God," said Norman.
"When we walk into congregations, we are told that we look too young to
be ordained.  When we are called to a church, we're placed to do youth
ministry," Norman said.
     "Please help us to encourage congregations and synods of the ELCA
to use our spiritual gifts as young adults.  We are members of the body
of Christ and without us, the body is incomplete.  Celebrate with us the
diversity we bring to the body of Christ," said Norman.
     "Young adults are motivated to do God's mission in the world,"
Sara Aden, ELCA Metropolitan Chicago Synod, told the assembly.  "We are
filled with energy and passion.  We are individuals called to serve
individuals.  We are individuals in search of a community in which to
belong.  Start inviting us back to the church as adults.  Don't be
afraid of the different gifts we have to offer," she said.
     At the young adult convocation, Aden said, each day began with
worship and Bible study.  Young adults also focused on servant
leadership projects.
     At the 1997 ELCA Churchwide Assembly in Philadelphia, the young
adult convocation launched the ELCA's "Initiatives to Prepare for a New
Century," significant areas of ministry for the 21st century.
     "Young adults are signs of hope," said Dr. Addie J. Butler, ELCA
vice president, Philadelphia.
     Jim Colver, Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, San Jose, Calif., rode
his bicycle to the assembly stage.  Colver is cycling from "coast to
coast" to raise awareness and money for the Prison Congregations of
America.
     "Prison Congregations of America is an organization that works
with prison and state officials to start congregations in every prison
in this country," said Colver.  He said he was inspired by the
organization's mission and determined the best way to support the
organization would be to ride his bicycle.  Colver is in the process of
riding from Rhode Island to California.
     Colver is "one of the signs of hope in our world," said Butler.

For information contact: