From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

One miracle after another

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 31 Aug 1999 13:11:14

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383

Visit our web site at
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-124

One miracle after another

by Barbara Mraz

     (ENS) The connections between the American Indian community
and the Episcopal Church in Minnesota are historic and run deep.

     When 38 Dakota were hanged in Mankato, Minnesota, the day
after Christmas in 1862, the press reported that they sang an
Indian death chant as they faced the gallows. Hardly. As they
walked to their deaths, the Indians, many of whom had been
converted to Christianity by Bishop Henry Whipple, were actually
chanting a Native melody accompanied by the words of a hymn in
the Dakota language, a witness to an unwavering faith in a loving
God. Much later, this song became #385 in the Hymnal of 1982.

     These connections were incarnated in yet another form this
summer as people from Region VIII of the Diocese of Minnesota,
assisted by church members from Indianapolis, joined forces with
the people of All Saints Mission in Minneapolis to revitalize a
dying building and lay a foundation for an expanded ministry for
the community. According to All Saints vicar, the Rev.  Melanie
Spears, the project has been one miracle after another.

New beginnings

     In 1996, All Saints was in a grieving process. The previous
vicar had left, the prospects for the future were unclear. A big
problem was the building which was severely in need of repair and
had poor access for elders. The parish also wanted to be able to
serve the surrounding community in much-needed ways. As Spears,
the first Dakota/Lakota woman to be ordained to the priesthood,
puts it, "It's important for a poor community to be able to serve
and not be in poverty forever."

     People in Region VIII made a strong commitment to helping
All Saints. The Rev.  Susan Moss stated, "This region is a family
and we're going to take care of each other."

     Through the national "Paths Crossings" program, a large
church in Indianapolis, St. Paul's, had also become interested in
All Saints and formed a partnership. But the model was not
strictly a "Habitat for Humanity" one. St. Paul's wanted to learn
about Native culture and form a relationship with All Saints that
would be one of mutual sharing.

     The Rev. Jim Leland of St. Paul's says, "We felt that the
Native American community was in some sense a forgotten minority
and that we had many things to learn from them. "A series of
exchange visits between the two parishes began. Relationships
were formed, personal connections were made that were the basis
of two work visits made by St. Paul's parishioners to All Saints
to help them restore their church building.

     In 1998,  thirty people from Indianapolis spent two weeks in
Minneapolis helping to install a new stone floor at All Saints,
funded by St. Paul's.  This summer a group returned again:
families, people in their 60s, some teenagers. They joined forces
with workers from within and outside the region, and got to work
on making a vision a reality.

An evolving vision

     The plan for All Saints evolved in three stages. This summer
Phase One has almost been completed. This included a complete
renovation of the sanctuary. Phase Two will involve renovation of
the offices and other areas of the building and installation of
an elevator. And Phase Three will be the installation of
facilities for a soup kitchen that will serve the community.

     The Indianapolis church provided $40,000 for the project.
Another $40,000 was received from a United Thank Offering grant
and St. Mark's Cathedral in Minneapolis donated its Easter
offering, totaling almost $8,000

     An intensive summer work schedule was set up involving the
St. Paul's delegation; many volunteers from Minneapolis churches,
including St. John's, St. Luke's, St.  James-on-the-Parkway, and
St. Mark's Cathedral; and other regional and diocesan workers.
The parishes of Region VIII served meals to the workers each day
at St. James-on-the-Parkway.

Coming together

     Spears says that the project has been "a miracle of
acceptance" and that "people can give the littlest things and
still they're needed." Working side by side, often in 90 degree
heat, has caused cultural barriers to come down and community to
be forged.

     Spears observes, "At one point we had some kids from Edina
working here next to kids from the Bear Clan" (a gang-prevention
program begun by Spears). Robert Looking Elk of All Saints notes,
"It's kind of like dating.  Once you get past the niceties and
initial discomfort, you get to know each other on a deeper level.
You get past blame. Sometimes it becomes difficult and scarey,
but you can learn a lot about people by holding a piece of
sheetrock together."

     Architect Kara Koffler, who completed the plans begun by an
architect from Indianapolis, says that support has come from many
places. "Dayton's Department Store gave us some very expensive
carpeting for $2 a yard."

     Rex McKee, who coordinated the local volunteer effort, says
that response was good but "Next time I will be more aggressive
about getting volunteers. Sometimes it's OK to be in someone's
face...."

Outreach redefined

     Before the Dakota were executed in Mankato, it is said that
Bishop Whipple kept President Lincoln up half the night trying to
convince him to rescue the condemned Indians. Because of his
efforts, Lincoln agreed to reduce the number to be killed from
over 300 to 38.

     But the model of ministry at All Saints this summer is not
one of rescuing the less fortunate. It is a model of cooperation,
education, and friendship.

     Many of the people from Indianapolis speak of personal
growth and the deeply spiritual nature of their experiences with
the All Saints community as well as of a desire to return again.
Connie Shea from Indianapolis says, "I work at a florist shop and
I am using my vacation to be here. I'm well along in years and
I'd never been up on a scaffold before I came here. I didn't know
I could do it."

     Plasterers and painters -- white and Native American --
stand high on the scaffold at All Saints on a hot summer
Saturday, finishing the upper walls of the sanctuary. A startling
contrast to the scaffold at Mankato over a hundred years ago....

--The Rev. Barbara Mraz is deacon at St. John the Baptist in
Minneapolis.