From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service Briefs

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 31 Aug 1999 13:11:23

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383

Visit our web site at
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-122

News Briefs

Canadian Anglicans and Lutherans move towards full communion

     (ENS) At its national convention in Regina, Saskatchewan,
the 200,000-member Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC)
overwhelmingly approved a move to establish full communion with
the Anglican Church of Canada by 2001. The Anglicans, with about
800,000 members, approved the declaration at their General Synod
last summer.

     The final step will be a vote in a simultaneous convention
in Waterloo, Ontario, in the summer of 2001, where both
denominations are expected to approve a revised version of the
"Waterloo Declaration" that outlines agreement on a range of
theological issues, including the historic episcopate.

     The obvious enthusiasm for the agreement contrasted with
similar developments between the Episcopal Church in the USA and
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The Episcopal
Church voted in favor of a Concordat of Agreement that would
establish full communion at its General Convention in 1997 but
the ELCA's Churchwide Assembly narrowly rejected the proposal.

     The Lutherans, in consultation with the Episcopalians, have
written a new proposal, "Called to Common Mission" (CCM), which
faces a vote at the Churchwide Assembly in August. If approved,
the new proposal would go to the Episcopal General Convention
next summer.

     "It's right that we come together and celebrate our
similarities and our gifts," said the Rev. Jon Fogleman, a
Lutheran from Ontario who represents the ELCIC at the Anglican
General Synod.

Increase in ordinations in Church of England

     (ENI) At a time when many churches in the West face a
shortage of new vocations to the priesthood, the Church of
England is experiencing a surge in ordinations.

     Archdeacon Gordon Kuhrt, director of ministry for the
Archbishops' Council of the Church of England, said he was
"absolutely thrilled and optimistic" about the trend in
ordinations.

     According to official figures from the church, ordinations
of both deacons and priests this year are the highest since the
1980s. Church dioceses reported that on June 29, 396 people (a 9
percent increase from last year) were ordained deacons and 362
deacons (8 percent increase from last year) became priests. Among
the ordinations 36 percent of the deacons and 38 percent of the
priests were women.

     Kuhrt cited the church's growing confidence in the relevance
of the gospel; the impact of the' "much maligned" Decade of
Evangelism; teams in parishes mixing clergy and lay people; and
"sorting out its views" on women priests, as the main reasons for
the increase.

     Despite the surge in ordinations, the number of clergy
retiring is still a concern because they greatly outnumber the
ordinations.

     Kuhrt said, "It will be some time before the numbers of new
stipendiary clergy exceed those retiring, but the gap is closing
steadily."

Pewsaction ends; Reconcilers for Christ begins

     (ENS) Due to the lack of attendance at the annual meeting of
Pewsaction, its president and those present concluded that the
group had outlived its purpose. After much discussion and prayer,
Pewsaction was dissolved and Reconcilers for Christ was created.

     According to a report, those in attendance believed that the
Lord was calling them to a new mission and purpose that could
speak to the ongoing divisions and diversity present in the
Episcopal Church while focusing on evangelism and maintaining the
Anglican precepts of Scripture, Tradition and Reason.

     Reconcilers for Christ, based upon II Corinthians 5:17-18,
is a movement within the Episcopal Church of laity and clergy,
striving to live out the Baptismal Covenant in an atmosphere of
"reconciled differences," through prayer, the guidance of the
Holy Spirit and the sacraments of the church.

     Plans for the group includes a quarterly newsletter
highlighting member organizations, prayers, stories of
reconciliation, articles by guest authors, and spiritual and
educational resources.

     A conference is planned for June 21-24, 2001.

British church takes steps to reverse policy on gay ministers

     (ENI) The United Reformed Church (URC) in the United
Kingdom, which two years ago became the first mainstream British
church to vote to accept practicing homosexuals into the
ministry, has taken steps towards reversing that policy.

     A report said the church's assembly adopted a statement by
the URC Mission Council saying that there "is not a sufficiently
clear mind in the church at this time to affirm the acceptability
of homosexual practice."

     The decision will be referred to local churches, which have
until March 2000 to register disagreement. If not more than one-
third of churches object, it is expected to be adopted as church
policy.

     The assembly also approved a related measure to suspend
Resolution 19, which was passed at the 1997 assembly. That
resolution allowed, as an interim policy, openly gay candidates
to be accepted for ministerial training and endorsed the right of
local churches in the URC to call practicing homosexuals as
ministers if they wished to do so.

     Tony Burnham, URC general secretary, said: "This has been a
long and admittedly difficult process for the church, and I
believe the current proposal offers a way forward. It will come
as a great relief when this single issue, important though it is,
no longer overshadows the many vital initiatives the church is
taking in the field of mission."

     Ian Buist, secretary of the URC caucus of the Lesbian and
Gay Christian Movement, called the assembly decision "deeply
flawed and divisive." It "passes judgment on all gay people, not
just church members," he said.

     "The testimonies that we have offered in our life and
worship have been ignored and set at naught. They have been
despised and rejected. The statement claims to affirm and welcome
those of a lesbian and gay orientation, but not if they fullfil
that orientation in practice, even within permanent unions," he
added.

     He described the deadline of March 2000 for churches to
enter objections to the decision as "ridiculous," adding that
"there is no way churches can absorb and catch up with all the
work that has been done within that time."

Convocation of Churches in Europe ordains German

     (ENS) On June 7, at St. Augustine of Canterbury Church, in
Wiesbaden, Dr. Hanns Engelhardt made history as the first German
ordained as deacon in the Convocation of American Churches in
Europe.

     Congregants of St. Augustine and 20 members of the Anglican
Episcopal congregation in Karlsruhe, founded by Engelhardt in
1994, were witnesses to this milestone service performed by
Bishop Jeffery Rowthorn, bishop-in-charge of the Convocation.

     The Rev. Karl Bell, rector of St. Augustine, described
Engelhardt as a devoted layman of the church. He said as
Engelhardt anticipated retirement from his position as a Supreme
Court justice, he began to explore the requirements that would
permit him to be ordained in the church.

     Raised in the Evangelical (United) Church in Germany,
Engelhardt was attracted to Anglicanism at St. Christopher's
Church (now Christ the King) in Frankfurt during the sixties.
Since 1969, he has been licensed as a lay assistant, then lay
reader at the various congregations in both the Church of England
chaplaincies and American Episcopal Churches where he has resided
in Germany.  Appointed as lay pastoral leader of the congregation
in Karlsruhe in 1996, Engelhardt initiated Anglican services on
Easter Sunday, 1999, in Baden Baden for the first time in over 60
years.

     Engelhardt is a member of several legal and religious
organizations and recently helped write the constitution of the
Council of Anglican Episcopal Churches in Germany, a formal
organization of the Church of England and American Episcopal
congregations based in Germany.

Mothers' Union makes history -- new chief executive is a man

     (ACNS) The Mothers' Union, an organization with a strong
commitment to social issues in the United Kingdom and throughout
the developing world, recently announced the appointment of Reg
Bailey as its chief executive,

     Bailey is the first man to hold this position in the
Mothers' Union's 120-year history, marking a significant
milestone for the organization as it adapts to the challenges and
opportunities of the new millennium.

     Some of Bailey's tasks will be the coordination of the work
that will take the million-member organization (across 54
countries) into the next century. He will also help shape its
role on the global stage as an organization committed to advocacy
and change.

     "I'm looking forward to joining the challenge of taking the
Mothers' Union into the next millennium. I'm fully committed to
the family values that the Society promotes internationally. My
vision for the future is to build upon the successful and
empowering work that the Mothers' Union is engaged in worldwide,
whilst ensuring that we continue to have a relevant place in
contemporary society," he said.

     Christine Eames, president of the Mothers' Union, said that,
"Reg will be bringing his considerable leadership experience and
expertise of managing dynamic and successful organizations. The
Mothers' Union is committed to equality of opportunity for men
and women as we aim to take the values of Christian family life
into the next millennium. Our belief in the nurturing of the next
generation and working in our communities demands the skills of
all whom support our aims. As a woman's organization we recognize
that family life is not just a woman's issue."

WCC visits churches in the Democratic Republic of Congo

     (WCC) The July 4-11 visit to the Democratic Republic of
Congo by Dr. Konrad Raiser, general secretary of the World
Council of Churches (WCC), and leaders of the All Africa
Conference of Churches (AACC) was hailed as positive.

     This was the first time in African church history that
leaders of the two organizations made a joint visit to an African
country and its churches.

     Raiser said he and an ecumenical delegation had been able to
discuss the challenges that lie ahead for the churches in
rebuilding social and political life in the country. He said, it
was clear in conversations with representatives of the Church of
Christ in Congo, that much was expected of ecumenical
organizations like the WCC and the AACC and that "the Congolese
churches look to the WCC and the AACC for support."

     In addition, Raiser said, the Congolese churches are
actively tackling the essential tasks of national rehabilitation
and reconstruction in a cooperative way, and are planning to set
up a "round table" that will "create the conditions for
international relief measures by the churches."

     He described the conversation with Laurent Kabila, Congo's
head of state, as "open and nuanced." During a 45-minute
interview, Kabila had expressed his hopes for a lasting cease-
fire. Raiser noted the fact that Kabila sent the draft of the
ceasefire agreement to various social groups for their reactions,
even before its signing.

     Another promising element, Raiser commented, was the call
for a national debate on the restructuring of the country.

Bessette/Kennedy memorial held at Christ Church Greenwich

     (ENS) On Saturday, July 24, a memorial service was held to
celebrate the life of Lauren Bessette and remembered and honored
her sister Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and brother-in-law John F.
Kennedy, Jr.

     More than 500 invited guests attended the service at Christ
Church, in Greenwich.

     The Rev. Jeffrey Walker, rector of Christ Church, and the
Rev. Dr. Ralph Ahlberg, pastor emeritus of the Roundhill
Community Church in Greenwich, officiated, and the Rev. Hugh W.
Tudor-Foley participated in the service. Prior to his retirement,
Ahlberg was pastor to the family.

     The service was an ecumenical one, but grounded in the
Episcopal Book of Common Prayer.

     Christ Church was chosen because close friends of the
Bessette family were parishioners.

Angola will be missionary diocese in Southern Africa

     (ACNS) The Synod of the Anglican Church of the Province of
Southern Africa unanimously voted July 17 to create a new
missionary diocese of Angola in response to requests from
Anglicans in the country and to celebrate an amazing pattern of
growth. Bishop Denis Sengulane of Mozambique reviewed for the
meeting the history of the wounded people in the war-torn country
and how, eight years ago, the church in Angola sought episcopal
oversight and collegiality with the Anglican Communion.

     "The church continues to grow in spite of political
complexities," the bishop said, adding that the church has sought
to remain neutral in the political conflict. Yet he called on all
political leaders to work for the "full fruition of peace,"
arguing that "a call for peace is another part of our
responsibility."

     Beginning with a membership of about 9,000 eight years ago,
the church now as about 26,000 members with 27 priests, 11
deacons, 158 evangelists and 140 catechists.

     The Rev. Carlos Matsinhe of Lebombo said during the debate
that incorporating Angola as a missionary diocese will bring us
"much closer to the suffering people of Angola and a wonderful
opportunity for mission." Someone else pointed out that the
Angolans have "a hunger to belong to a family."

     Archbishop Njongonkulu Ndungane, adopting the general theme
of  "Journey to Wholeness," told the meeting that "we have not
lived well with our differences. We have allowed them to form the
basis for exclusion, prejudice and intolerance." He challenged
the church to "learn how to celebrate the wealth of difference
that God has created."

     He added, "We have considered some of the challenges and
threats to our wholeness--threats posed by poverty, violence and
prejudice." And it is time to "look for ways to allow our
diversity to mirror the divine diversity, rather than allow our
diversity to divide us from ourselves and one another."

Friends of Canterbury supported by new organization

     (ENS) A new international organization to support Canterbury
Cathedral in England, the mother church of Anglicanism, has been
formed, succeeding the Canterbury Cathedral Trust in America that
was formed in 1982.

     A new five-person American council of Friends of Canterbury
will be under the leadership of the Rev. John Harper,

     former rector of St. John's Church of Lafayette Square in
Washington, D.C. who has been instrumental in raising $2 million
for the new Education Center adjacent to the cathedral.

     The organization serves as a contact in the United States,
helping to organize trips and to assist in fundraising. Members
receive regular information on the cathedral and its mission and
are eligible to join special pilgrimage tours led by the dean.

Presbyterians vote to continue dialogue on homosexuality

     (ENS) The 211th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church
(USA) approved a minority vote calling for two years of study and
discussion on whether to ordain practicing homosexual persons as
ministers, elders or deacons. Commissioners rejected a majority
report from its committee on church orders and ministry that
would have approved deleting a provision that requires fidelity
in marriage or chastity in singleness. Such decisions require the
approval of a majority of the church's 173 presbyteries. Those
arguing for the minority report said that it provided "the quiet
time that we need for civilized and thoughtful discussion,
listening respectfully to one another, when we are not under the
threat of having to vote on something, and maintaining our
historic standard against behavior that is contrary to Scripture,
contrary to order, contrary to tradition, contrary to our
constitution."