From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ecumenical Council Press "No Gun Ri"

From CAROL_FOUKE.parti@ecunet.org (CAROL FOUKE)
Date 29 Sep 1999 11:24:32

Redress

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the
USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

For Interviews/More Information,
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

109NCC9/29/99

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC PRESSES U.S. TO ADDRESS GRIEVANCE OF NO GUN RI
MASSACRE
NCC & South Korean Counterpart Assembled Dossier,
Approached Pentagon in 1998

    September 29, 1999, NEW YORK CITY - The U.S.
government must give speedy, aggressive attention
to the grievance of South Koreans against U.S.
military personnel in the massacre of some 400
innocent Korean civilians at No Gun Ri
(alternative spelling: Nokeun-ri) in July 1950,
newly documented by the Associated Press, the
(U.S.) National Council of Churches (NCC) declared
today.

    The NCC, together with its South Korean
counterpart, the National Council of Churches in
Korea, last December had asked the Pentagon's
response to detailed testimony from Korean
survivors and eyewitnesses to the massacre of
mostly women, children and the elderly.  In March,
the U.S. Army replied that it had "found no
information to substantiate the claim that U.S.
Army soldiers perpetrated a massacre of South
Korean civilians at Nokuen-ri."

    Praising the Associated Press for bringing new
evidence of the massacre to light in its report,
released today, the NCC's General Secretary, the
Rev. Dr. Joan B. Campbell, joined the NCCK in
reiterating their demand that the "truth should be
disclosed to the public and the families of the
victims should be compensated adequately."

     "Grievances filed away without any
investigation should be reopened and those pending
should be investigated post haste," she said.
"Our country, committed to uphold human rights,
can do no less.  The South Korean victims and
their relatives deserve justice.

    "When justice is accorded for South Koreans,
we will then have demonstrated our own humanity,"
she said.  "Then and only then can we send a
message around a world that has seen too much
atrocity that no one, not even the military, can
escape accountability."

    At the same time, Dr. Campbell affirmed that
"truth leads to reconciliation, as we've learned
from our sisters and brothers in South Africa."
And she hailed the courage of the U.S. servicemen
who testified to their own participation in the
massacre.

     "While they share responsibility for these
atrocities against Korean civilians, they also
merit our pastoral concern and care.  `Going
public' with such admissions carries a heavy price
for themselves and their families, which must be
acknowledged.

    The (U.S.) National Council of Churches - the
nation's leading ecumenical organization with 35
Protestant and Orthodox member bodies - got
involved in pressing the Pentagon for answers on
the "No Gun Ri Incident" at the request of its
longstanding partner, the National Council of
Churches in Korea (NCCK).

    Responding to an official request from
survivors and bereaved family members, the NCCK's
Committee for Justice and Human Rights had
recorded survivors' testimonies as part of its own
investigation of the incident, then forwarded the
dossier to the NCC with a request "for your
cooperation to resolve this issue."

    NCC East Asia and the Pacific Office Director
Victor W.C. Hsu wrote Secretary of Defense William
S. Cohen on December 18, 1998, enclosing the NCCK-
assembled dossier and asking the Pentagon's
response to the allegations.  "According to the
NCCK," Mr. Hsu wrote, "the U.S. Army `refuses to
take responsibility for this massacre' because
`this incident happened during the war.'"

    The investigation was put in the hands of John
P. McLaurin, III, Deputy General Secretary
(Military Personnel Management and Equal
Opportunity Policy), who on March 22, 1999, wrote
Mr. Hsu to report, "The Army's center of Military
History reviewed the enclosures to the packet
created by the National Council of Churches in
Korea and also available U.S. Army records for the
Korean War for July 1950 located in the National
Archives and Records Administration.  Their review
found no information to substantiate the claim
that U.S. Army soldiers perpetrated a massacre of
South Korean civilians at Nokuen-ri."

-end-
 -0-