From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Discrimination Against Religious Minorities Criticized in Adventist

From "Beckett, John" <BeckettJ@gc.adventist.org>
Date 30 Sep 1999 15:26:39

Church Statement

ANN Bulletin
Adventist News Network
Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters
September 30, 1999

In an official statement voted September 29, Seventh-day Adventists
expressed concern for discrimination against religious minorities in many
parts of the world.

"Some nations have published lists of religious groups described as
potentially dangerous sects," says the statement. "Anti-sect commissions
have been set up, investigative personnel have been trained, and restrictive
laws passed.  Hundreds of thousands of innocent believers are now under
official suspicion and are treated as second-class citizens."

The statement, entitled  "Religious Minorities and Religious Freedom:  A
Statement of Commitment and Concern," was voted at the Church's Annual
Council, a meeting of 330 Adventists at the Church's World Headquarters in
Silver Spring, Maryland, which represents nearly 11 million Seventh-day
Adventists in 205 countries of the world.

"We expressed our concerns about violations of religious freedom, but we
also affirmed our commitment to promoting, defending, and protecting
religious freedom for everyone, everywhere. Being concerned about others and
practicing what we preach must be a part of our Christian life," said Dr.
John Graz, director of Public Affairs and Religious Liberty at the Church's
World Headquarters.

The statement also emphasizes that "the law must be applied evenly and
without capricious favor. We submit that no religious group should be judged
because some adherents may appear to be extremists.  Religious freedom is
limited when aggressive or violent behavior violates the human rights of
others."

The Annual Council, which opened on Tuesday evening, September 28, will
continue until October 7.

"Religious Minorities and Religious Freedom:  A Statement of Commitment and
Concern"

Throughout history religious minorities have often been subject to
discrimination and outright persecution.  Today religious intolerance and
prejudice are again on the rise.  Notwithstanding the affirmation of the
freedom of everyone to hold and disseminate religious views and to change
one's religion-an affirmation sustained in the United Nations instruments
and documents comprising an "International Bill of Rights"-many countries
deny this right to their citizens.

International instruments condemn discrimination against minorities, but
tragically, some nations have published lists of religious groups described
as potentially dangerous sects.  Anti-sect commissions have been set up,
investigative personnel have been trained, and restrictive laws passed.
Hundreds of thousands of innocent believers are now under official suspicion
and are treated as second-class citizens.  All this violates religious
freedom, which is the most basic and essential of the fundamental rights of
humankind.  Seventh-day Adventists believe in obeying the laws of the land
as long as they do not conflict with the laws of God.  However, we oppose
any law, policy, or activity which discriminates against religious
minorities.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church stands for religious freedom for everyone,
as well as for the separation of church and state.  Scripture teaches that
the God who gave life also gave freedom of choice.  God only accepts homage
that is freely given.  Seventh-day Adventists further believe that the law
must be applied evenly and without capricious favor.  We submit that no
religious group should be judged because some adherents may appear to be
extremists.  Religious freedom is limited when aggressive or violent
behavior violates the human rights of others.

In support of Article 18 of the United Nations Universal Declaration of
Human Rights and other international instruments, and in harmony with its
beliefs and its history, the Seventh-day Adventist Church is fully committed
to promote, defend, and protect religious freedom for everyone, everywhere.
To that end, we will continue to cooperate with the United Nations Human
Rights Commission and other international agencies and religious
organizations to encourage every nation to implement the fundamental right
of religious freedom.  In addition, we will continue to promote dialogue and
better understanding between governmental authorities and people who belong
to religious minorities.

-end-
Contact Information:
Communications Department
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600

Phone: 301-680-6300
e-mail: info@gc.adventist.org