From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Re: <NO SUBJECT>

From ENS.parti@ecunet.org (ENS)
Date 22 Nov 1999 10:17:58

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

99-169

NCC's 50th anniversary celebrates the past, restructures for the
future

by James Solheim

     (ENS) The National Council of Churches (NCC) of Christ in
the USA celebrated its 50th anniversary by reflecting on its role
in the ecumenical movement, embracing new leadership, and
adopting a sweeping restructure to take it into a new millennium.

     In a sprawling four-day meeting marked by forums on a wide
range of issues, worship services, reunions, caucuses and even a
special concert by the Cleveland Orchestra, the future of the
organization was on the minds of everyone.

     Meeting in the same auditorium in Cleveland where it was
formed nearly 50 years ago, delegates to the NCC General Assembly
gathered under a cloud of uncertainty, facing some predictions
that a looming financial crisis threatened its future. That
pessimism was balanced, however, with a genuine excitement over
the election of Ambassador Andrew Young as president and former
Congressman Robert Edgar as general secretary, two preacher-
politicians with enough organizational ability to make the
changes necessary.

     Young began his career by serving in the NCC youth office,
right out of college, before moving to Atlanta to work with
Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Southern Christian Leadership
Conference. He was elected to Congress in 1972, serving three
terms until he was appointed by his friend Jimmy Carter as the
U.S. representative at the United Nations in 1977. He later
served two terms as mayor of Atlanta and co-chair of the 1996
Olympics.

     He credits his tenure with the NCC's Youth Division in the
1950s with "laying a wonderful foundation for me. It not only
prepared me for the civil rights movement but my involvement in
Congress and the United Nations essentially came from my
experience in ecumenical Christianity." After his graduation from
Hartford Seminary in 1955, Young was ordained in the United
Church of Christ and served a parish in Georgia before joining
the NCC staff in 1957.

     Edgar was elected to Congress in 1974, the first Democrat in
a heavily Republican district in Pennsylvania in 120 years,
serving five terms before voluntarily stepping down in 1987
because of his belief in term limits. An ordained Methodist
minister, he served parishes in Pennsylvania and as chaplain at
Drexel University in Philadelphia. For the last 12 years he has
been president of Claremont School of Theology in California, an
institution that was "just a hiccup away from going out of
business. I led in changing the spirit and image of the school
around, and now people see it as a model of how to salvage
institutions in financial distress," he said. He was credited
with rejuvenating the school and taking the endowment from less
than $4 million to more than $22 million.

Radical restructure

     Edgar and Young inherit an organization that has enjoyed
some glorious moments in the past, championing social causes,
especially during the civil rights movement of the 1960s, and
produced two translations of the Bible that have sold over 70
million copies.

     For a variety of reasons, however, support for the council
has dwindled. The Rev. Joan Brown Campbell, who is finishing nine
years as general secretary, attributed the decline to some
changes in the ecumenical movement itself, with more attention
and support going to local causes and ecumenical cooperation.

     The Rev. Canon Patrick Mauney, director of Anglican and
Global Relations for the Episcopal Church, served as a member of
the Transition Management Team that was charged "to develop
budget, structural design and staff configurations for a
sustainable and viable council."

     Meeting behind closed doors, the NCC Governing Board shaped
the proposals that went to the General Assembly. Bishop Craig
Anderson of the Episcopal Church, who is finishing his term as
NCC president, said that the restructuring was like "trying to
ride a bicycle while we're still trying to build it." Someone
else described the NCC as a camel with 35 humps, each
representing one of its members.

     While many of the details must be worked out, it is clear
that the New York-based staff will be cut by at least a third, or
34 positions, including three associate general secretaries and
four high-level directors. Anderson made an "impassioned plea to
be together and work for what we are about--the unity of the body
of Christ--and not be pulled apart and fragmented, which is sin."

     In an effort to work within what was called a "fiscal
framework," the NCC Executive Board must deal with a shortfall in
1999 of nearly $4 million. An emergency appeal to members to make
a one-time "gift" to cover the immediate shortfall met with some
resistance because of the murky financial picture--and the
$750,000 cost of the anniversary celebration itself. The board
appointed Stated Clerk Clifton Kirkpatrick of the Presbyterian
Church (USA) and Richard Hamm of the Christian Church (Disciples
of Christ) to solicit funds.

Koreans tell chilling story

     Just before the meeting the NCC got involved in a story that
illustrates its ability to put items on the human rights agenda.
Responding to a request from the National Council of Churches in
Korea, the NCC asked the Pentagon last December to look into
detailed testimony from survivors of a massacre of 400 civilians
50 years ago by U.S. soldiers at No Gun Ri. The account was
dismissed by both the U.S. and Korean governments. Then some
veterans, in an Associated Press story September 29, admitted
that they had participated in the massacre.

     Four massacre survivors and three veterans came to Cleveland
for an emotional service of recognition and remembrance, lighting
candles to illuminate "the deepest corners of our hurt and our
fear and our guilt." After the meeting, the group traveled to
Washington, D.C., to meet with government officials who promised
to look into the charges.

     Campbell said that the service and meeting is "exactly the
kind of 'truth and reconciliation' work the church should be and
is doing all over the world." She praised the survivors for their
persistence in pursuing justice and the veterans for their
courage in coming forward.

     A church leader who knows a great deal about truth and
reconciliation, Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, paid
tribute to the NCC in a letter. He was prevented from attending
because of a prostate operation. He commended the NCC for "the
fervor of your love and caring…. most notably during apartheid."
He said that the NCC had been "steadfast" and "incredibly
generous--you were there for us. God is proud of you."

     General Secretary Konrad Raiser of the World Council of
Churches, Canon Clement Janda of the All Africa Council of
Churches, and the Rev. Riad Jarjour of the Middle East Council of
Churches all brought greetings, pointing out the importance of
the NCC on the world stage.

Young installed as president

     In a sweeping service filled with powerful preaching and
music, Young was installed November 11 as the 20th president of
the NCC. The Rev. Otis Moss, Jr. hailed him as a voice for peace
and justice. "We have a voice, a vision and a victory," he said.
In a surprise appearance by the Rev. Jesse Jackson, Young was
called "one of the authentic links to Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr." He said that Young "is part of the glue that holds the world
together."

     At a news conference later Young did not seem disturbed by
the NCC's financial crisis, suggesting that it has always been in
financial trouble. He suggested that his experience of helping to
restructure city government in Atlanta will help in the NCC
restructure.

     "I get to stand in the way of the Holy Spirit," he said.
"Organizing 35 communions and the people in them to take
seriously the covenants in the Old and New Testaments is a
challenge I'm ready to take."

--James Solheim is director of News and Information for the
Episcopal Church.