From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Alliance of Baptists Certified for Membership in National Council of

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 11 Nov 1999 11:56:04

Churches

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Office of News Services
Email: news@ncccusa.org
Web: www.ncccusa.org
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
	50th Anniversary Newsroom - Nov. 8-12, 1999 call 216-696-8490

NCC11/10/99							FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ALLIANCE OF BAPTISTS CERTIFIED FOR NCC MEMBERSHIP

Nov. 10, 1999, CLEVELAND, Ohio - The stage was set today for the Alliance
of Baptists - a Washington, D.C.-based communion of 60,000 Baptists in 125
congregations in the southeast - to become the 36th member communion of the
National Council of Churches (NCC).

The NCC's General Assembly declared the Alliance eligible for membership,
meaning that next year's Assembly will take the final vote establishing
formal membership for the Alliance and seating its delegation.

In a voice quaking with emotion, Alliance of Baptists Executive Director
Stan Hastey told the Assembly its vote "is an act of true grace.  Though we
are only 10 years old, we have envisioned the action you have taken today
since our beginning -- we Baptists in the South have isolated ourselves
from the rest of the world for far too long.  Today marks a milepost of
significance for us that I can scarcely exaggerate.  With great
thanksgiving, we offer ourselves to you."

Progressive National Baptist Convention General Secretary the Rev. Tyrone
Pitts, Jr., endorsed the application by the Alliance of Baptists, noting
that the two Baptist groups have a history of cooperation on a variety of
ministries, including mission outreach to Cuba.

- end -