From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Vows to Combat Racism, Support Public Schools

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 11 Nov 1999 22:18:53

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Office of News Services
Email: news@ncccusa.org
Web: www.ncccusa.org
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
	50th Anniversary Newsroom - Nov. 8-12, 1999 call 216-696-8490

NCC11/11/99					FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC VOWS TO COMBAT RACISM, SUPPORT PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Nov. 11, 1999, CLEVELAND, Ohio - The General Assembly of the National
Council of Churches (NCC) today signed on to a Consultation on Church Union
(COCU) commitment to combat the scourge of racism in the United States.

Making the commitment, the NCC's 35 member churches pledged to make a
compelling theological case against racism, to share among member churches
anti-racism resources and programs already taking place, to incorporate
anti-racism concerns into worship and Christian education programs and to
advocate for changes in church and society that will combat racism.

Elenora Giddings Ivory, chair of the Council's National Ministries Unit
(NMU) which brought the racism proposal to the Council, announced that
gospel singer Kirk Franklin has provided funds for an NCC-sponsored
conference on combating racism to be held next year.

In other NMU-recommended actions, the Assembly adopted a policy statement
on public education and a resolution supporting universal health care and
calling on member churches to work at the local and national level to put
universal health care back on the political agenda during the 2000 election
campaign.

Native American theologian links growing violence to racism

Addressing the phenomenon of racism in America, the Rev. Dr. George Tinker,
a member of the Osage Nation and theology professor at Iliff Seminary in
Denver, said the violent effects of racism "have invaded all of North
American society."  As a result, he continued, "we now have to talk about
not just redress for Indians, but the salvation of white America."

Dr. Tinker, a Lutheran, noted that the Osage used to own all of Missouri
"until we generously ceded it to the U.S. government so it could be used
for Lutheran refugee resettlement."  He said culpability for the racist
structures that still predominate in the country belongs to churches as
well as governments and other institutions of society.

  "The structures of power are still in place -- male privilege, white
privilege - subtle layers of racism and privilege that are frequently not
conscious but are still sin that is thrust upon us," Dr. Tinker said.  And
it's not enough for people of color to raise issues of racism and
privilege, he added.  "White theologians have to ask, 'How did it get to be
like this?'"

The effects of racism eventually affect perpetrators and their children,
Dr. Tinker said, "and we cannot let bygones be bygones because as people of
the Book we know better - God is just."   	Churches and Christians must
challenge the structures of racism in society, Dr. Tinker said. "If we
accept the world as it is, we give in to a malaise that eats away at the
souls of our people and our churches.  This is a serious theological,
social, political and spiritual problem that is going to take a generation
to correct."

Citing the Lord's Prayer -- "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven"
- Dr. Tinker urged NCC delegates not to give up on the vision of a just
society.  "God's will is not sickness or death for anyone," he concluded.

Longstanding NCC support for public schools reaffirmed

A policy statement on public education - "The Churches and the Public
Schools at the Close of the 20th Century" - reaffirms the NCC's
longstanding commitment to the public school system and urges member
communions to become an active voice in their children's education.

The policy urges the church to "remember first and foremost our children"
and affirms that "the public schools are the primary route for most
children ... into full participation in our economic, political and
community life."

The statement does not try to resolve the longstanding debate over public
versus private education.  It affirms that "parents have the right to
select home schooling or private or parochial schools for their
children."  However, it insists, "with that personal right comes the public
obligation to support public schools for all children."  And the statement
declares that "as a general rule, public funds should be used for public
purposes."

The statement urges local churches to become better informed about the
public schools in their communities, to support school reform efforts, to
emphasize reading and literacy programs, to work with public schools to
provide after-school and other tutoring programs, to provide parenting
classes and to advocate for adequate funding for their public schools.

"We have said before that we care about our children and schools," the
policy concludes.  "Now we must do something about it."

-end-