From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCC Gives First Leadership and Courage Award to Paul H. Sherry

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 11 Nov 1999 22:20:56

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Office of News Services
Email: news@ncccusa.org
Web: www.ncccusa.org
Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227
	50th Anniversary Newsroom - Nov. 8-12, 1999 call 216-696-8490

NCC11/11/99 					FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

FIRST LEADERSHIP AND COURAGE AWARD TO PAUL H. DR. SHERRY

Nov. 11, 1999, CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The "Paul H. Dr. Sherry Leadership and
Courage Award" will be a triennial event at General Assemblies of the
National Council of Churches (NCC).  Sponsored by the Interfaith Assembly
of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Caucuses and Affirming
Organizations, the award honors a heterosexual religious leader who has
taken a risk by defending sexual minorities. The first recipient is the
individual in whose honor the award was named: retired United Church of
Christ President Paul H. Dr. Sherry.

"But really," Dr. Sherry said at the Interfaith Assembly's Nov. 11 prayer
breakfast, as his eyes filled with tears, "this award should be given to
you. I know the exclusion and pain you have felt. But I truly believe that
through your efforts God's purpose will be fulfilled."

"God's purpose," Dr. Sherry said, is the inclusion of lesbian and gay
Christians in the church. The Assembly-which represents LGBT caucuses in
more than 30 denominations-says that one of its hopes for the new
millennium is that the NCC will "welcome into membership any communion
which confesses Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, including those communions
whose members are primarily LGBT persons."

One of the gifts LGBT Christians bring to the church is "persistence and
commitment," said the Rev. Tricia Dykers Koenig at the breakfast. The Rev.
Dykers Koenig, a minister in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), is moderator
of Ohio's Western Reserve Presbytery.

"Your commitment to the church is proven because you stay and refuse to
leave. Why do you put up with us, while we're agonizing over membership
decline and at the same time doing our best to shut you out? The fact you
want so much to remain with us is a sign of hope: maybe the church really
does have a lot to offer."

Two of the NCC's new leaders-Ambassador Andrew Young and the Rev. Robert
Edgar-spoke at the prayer breakfast.  "I feel proud to be associated with
Paul Dr. Sherry," Ambassador Young said.

                             -end-