From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Beekmann to Retire as President of Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 22 Nov 1999 18:39:10

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

November 19, 1999

BEEKMANN TO RETIRE AS PRESIDENT OF GETTYSBURG LUTHERAN SEMINARY
99-295-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. Darold H. Beekmann, president of the
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg, Pa., announced he will
retire from that position on July 31, 2000.  Gettysburg is one of eight
seminaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).
     "I have been honored to serve the church through the rich
theological and churchly tradition of this seminary," said Beekmann, 64.
"It has touched and shaped me in special ways and will remain a special
part of my life."
     Founded in 1826, the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
is the oldest Lutheran seminary in North America.  Buildings on campus
played important roles during the Civil War's Battle of Gettysburg in
1863.  The 52-acre campus is located adjacent to Gettysburg National
Military Park.
     Beekmann became the seminary's 11th president on July 1, 1990,
when he succeeded the Rev. Herman G. Stuempfle Jr.  Since 1979, Beekmann
had served as bishop of the ELCA's Southwestern Minnesota Synod and of
the Southwestern Minnesota District of the former American Lutheran
Church.
     During Beekmann's decade as president, the seminary underwent
significant changes and advancements.  A new generation of faculty
joined the staff; voice, data and video technologies were installed; and
the ELCA's Center for Diaconal Ministry Preparation was established.
     A graduate of Wartburg College, Waverly, Iowa; Wartburg
Theological Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa; and Union Theological Seminary, New
York, Beekmann was ordained in 1964.  He served as pastor of Our Savior
Lutheran Church, Greeley, Colo.; St. John/Trinity Lutheran Parish,
Hector, Minn.; and Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, Benson, Minn.  In 1975
he became coordinator of parish services and assistant to the bishop in
the Southwestern Minnesota District.
     Beekmann and his wife, Marlene, are parents of two children.
Marlene J. Beekmann is a retired associate in ministry of the ELCA.
     The Rev. Judith A. McKee, Grace Lutheran Church, York, Pa., is
leading a presidential search committee.  The seminary will receive
applications for president until the end of 1999.

EDITORS: "Darold" is the correct spelling.

For information contact: