From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

PC(USA) Weighs $500,000 Rescue of National Council of Churches

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 30 Nov 1999 20:10:43

30-November-1999
99398

    PC(USA) Weighs $500,000 Rescue of
    National Council of Churches

    Bailout money would come with (purse)strings attached

    by John Filiatreau
    and Jerry L. Van Marter

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is weighing a $500,000
contribution to the financially troubled National Council of Churches of
Christ in the U.S.A.(NCC) - provided that the ecumenical organization takes
steps to reduce its debt load, restore its depleted reserves and begin
operating in the black.

    The Committee on the Office of the General Assembly has already
approved a grant of $100,000, and the General Assembly Council is
considering a proposal that it contribute an additional $400,000.  The NCC
had requested a total of $600,000 from the PC(USA).

    However, the GAC's Executive Committee did not bring the matter to a
vote during its Nov. 29 conference call.  Instead the committee decided to
place the proposed NCC special contribution on the docket for the regularly
scheduled GAC meeting in February.

    "Other churches won't be deciding on their share of the financial
rescue before late-February," GAC executive director John Detterick told
the Presbyterian News Service (PNS) in a Nov. 30 interview, "so we see no
need to accelerate our process - we'll bring it to a vote of the full
council in February."

    The NCC, struggling with a $4 million budget deficit for 1999, is in
the midst of what its leaders have called a "fiscal transformation
process."  At its recent 50th anniversary celebration the council's General
Assembly approved a massive restructuring that included reduction of the
NCC staff by one-third.

    The NCC has an annual budget of about $60 million - 85 percent of it
representing the operations of Church World Service and Witness (CWS), the
relief and development arm of the council through which Presbyterian
Disaster Assistance channels much of its disaster aid.  Under the
restructuring plan, CWS will have greater autonomy within the NCC
"umbrella."

    The PC(USA) contributes $408,000 a year to the NCC's operating budget.

    The deficit - which NCC officials call "authorized but unanticipated
expenses" - is attributable to $2.4 million in consulting fees to the
Pappas Group, which helped design the restructure over an 18-month period;
a $330,000 misallocation of funds from the NCC's "Burned Churches Fund" to
its racial justice program which must be restored; a one-time contribution
of about $500,000 to the NCC's pension fund due to a missed payment several
years ago; and overexpenditure of the General Secretary's budget for the
year, especially the mission to Yugoslavia last spring to rescue three U.S.
soldiers held captive by the Yugoslav government and the costs of
administering the $11.8 million "Burned Churches Fund," which provided
emergency aid to scores of African-American congregations whose churches
had been destroyed by arson fires.

    The Rev. Cliff Kirkpatrick, the PC(USA)'s stated clerk, said the
denomination has not wavered in its support of the NCC, which he said "has
made a huge contribution to the churches of this nation ... and the world."

    The Rev. Margaret J. Thomas, the NCC's treasurer, told the PNS the NCC
sometimes paid little attention to financial and "infrastructure" matters,
because it "wanted all resources to go to the mission."

    "When something arises in society, and the churches say, `Help us,' the
council naturally responds to the crisis - which usually demands a large
influx of money," said Thomas, synod executive for the PC(USA)'s Synod of
Lakes and Prairies. "The council's financial procedures were inadequate and
outdated, and by the end of '98 our unrestricted reserve was depleted. So
we had to use board-restricted funds for cash-flow purposes."

    "A deeper problem," Kirkpatrick added, "is one that the council shares
with all the Protestant, mainline churches - a general decline in growth
and in support - not a major, sudden decline, but a slow, step-by-step
decline, not unlike the situation we're facing as a denomination."

    Kirkpatrick also pointed out that the NCC is about to undergo a
"transition in leadership" - the Rev. Joan Brown Campbell, the
controversial general secretary for the last eight years, leaves office
Dec. 31.  She will be succeeded by the Rev. Robert Edgar, a Methodist
minister and former U.S. congressman with a proven track record as a
fund-raiser.  He will be joined in the NCC's new leadership by Andrew J.
Young, a disciple of Martin Luther King Jr., who served with Edgar in the
U.S. House of Representatives and has also been mayor of Atlanta and U.S.
ambassador to the United Nations.

    The NCC already has a new general manager and a new controller in
place.

    Though it has pledged $700,000 to the deficit reduction, the United
Methodist Church (UMC) voted on Oct. 10 to suspend all of its financial
support for the NCC, including the bailout, because of concerns about its
fiscal practices. Officials said the funding will be restored when
questions "related to past and future fiscal policies and management" are
answered  and the NCC has implemented a plan that "will ensure a viable
financial future."

    The UMC's delegation to the 50th anniversary Assembly said immediately
after the Assembly that the plan approved there is insufficient and so the
UMC suspension is still in effect.

    "We're hopeful and expectant that this suspension will be very brief,"
said Bishop William Boyd Grove, ecumenical officer for the United Methodist
Council of Bishops.

    "With the information presented, we had to exercise our fiduciary
responsibility on behalf of the United Methodist Church and in faithfulness
to those who give the dollars in our local churches," said the Rev.
Patricia M. Toschak, vice president of the UMN commission. "It is my hope
that this can be expediently resolved."

    Dan Rift, associate director for Global Service and Witness in the
Worldwide Ministries division, told the PNS that any PC(USA) contribution
to the NCC would come with "a very similar set of conditions" as the UMC's
and would not be "an unconditional grant."

    Rift said the NCC's recovery depends on two things - its ability to
"redesign itself with better financial policies and controls, and the
re-commitment of its member communions."

    He also pointed out that contributions to the NCC for "restricted" and
"designated funds" - those made with a specific purpose in mind - have
actually increased. It is unrestricted funds that are on the decline.

    Despite the budget deficit, the NCC went ahead with a gala
50th-anniversary celebration  Nov. 9-12 in Cleveland, Ohio, where the
nation's largest ecumenical organization - with 35 member churches
representing 52 million Christians - was born in 1950. The event's $300,000
cost is not part of the NCC operating budget, but has been underwritten by
the NCC's member churches and a number of Cleveland-area supporters.  The
PC(USA) contributed $25,000 and the UMC $50,000 to the celebration.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org