From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org
Reduced Attendance Won't Stop Presbyterian Youth Event
From
PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date
20 Dec 1999 20:09:12
20-December-1999
99430
Reduced Attendance Won't Stop Presbyterian Youth Event
2,000 registered, 5,000 expected to ring in
the millennium in Indianapolis
by Gary Luhr
Associate Director for Communication
LOUISVILLE, Ky.- Although attendance will be lower than expected at an
upcoming national Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) conference for youth and
young adults, organizers say those who do attend will experience an
extraordinary event.
Fear related to Y2K appears to be the main reason registration is well
below expectations for the event known as the "The Dawn ... an Epiphany,"
scheduled for Dec. 28, 1999-Jan. 1, 2000, in Indianapolis.
"It appears that a lot of people have chosen not to come because they
fear problems that could result if computers malfunction as the world
enters a new millennium on January 1," said the Rev. Rodger Nishioka, one
of the event planners. "I'm sure a lot more kids wanted to come, but
parents and churches decided not to risk having their young people away
from home at that time."
Planners had predicted initially that the event might attract as many
as 30,000 people. Two weeks from the start, however, registration totaled
about 1,650. Plans to hold the event at two locations - the RCA Dome and
Convention Center and the Indiana State Fairgrounds - have been scaled back
so that everything will now take place at the Dome. As a result, projected
costs also have been scaled back.
"Our original budget of $2.2 million was based on a conservative
attendance of 15,000," Nishioka said. "That seemed entirely realistic,
based on the fact that every three years nearly 7,000 young people attend
the Presbyterian Youth Triennium. Another 2,000 had to be turned away from
that event last year for lack of space. In addition, more than 8,000 people
attend our annual youth conferences at Montreat, N.C."
The success of these and other youth events has generated sufficient
reserves to cover whatever "The Dawn" winds up costing, Nishioka said. With
greatly reduced rental costs and elimination of the need for shuttle buses
to transport people between the two venues, the final cost will be well
below the original estimate, he said.
"Indianapolis has been great," Nishioka added. "The hospitality of the
city and the churches there has been outstanding. We share their
disappointment that the event won't be of the scale originally envisioned.
At the same time, our experience is consistent with what other event
planners and people in the hospitality industry are discovering - people,
for any number of reasons, are choosing to spend this New Year's Eve at
home with their families."
Nishioka emphasized that the event will still be a memorable experience
because of the involvement of exciting preachers, conference leaders and
entertainers for three evening concerts: Jars of Clay, Michael W. Smith and
Steven Curtis Chapman, and Kirk Franklin and the Nu Nation Chorus.
Conference planners have promoted the event throughout the Indianapolis
area and in other cities within driving distance, encouraging people to
take advantage of one-day registration rates that cover all events,
including the concerts.
"It's been a tough experience but a good journey," Nishioka said. "It
reminds all of us that ministry is about being faithful and, at times,
taking risks. Ultimately the Lord's grace is enough to sustain us all."
For more information, call Rodger Nishioka at (502) 569-5448.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This note sent by Office of News Services,
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
For additional information about this news story,
call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org
On the web: http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/
If you have a question about this mailing list,
send queries to wfn@wfn.org
Browse month . . .
Browse month (sort by Source) . . .
Advanced Search & Browse . . .
WFN Home