From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Bishops Adopt Pastoral Letter on 'Called to Common Mission'

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 09 Mar 2000 16:05:44

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 9, 2000

ELCA BISHOPS ADOPT PASTORAL LETTER ON 'CALLED TO COMMON MISSION'
00-052-JB

     FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. (ELCA) -- In an effort to maintain unity in
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), the ELCA Conference
of Bishops adopted a pastoral letter March 6 on the implementation of a
full communion proposal with The Episcopal Church.  The bishops' letter,
seen as risky by some bishops, is a response to "continuing tensions"
within the church over the proposal, the letter said.
     The full communion proposal, "Called to Common Mission" (CCM), was
adopted 716-317 at the 1999 ELCA Churchwide Assembly in Denver and is
controversial for some Lutherans.  A general convention of the Episcopal
Church will consider the same proposal when it meets in July, also in
Denver.
     The Conference of Bishops is an advisory body that includes the 65
ELCA synodical bishops, presiding bishop and ELCA Secretary.  Their
letter is addressed to ELCA's 5.2 million members.
     The ELCA bishops' letter said the adoption of CCM "caused great
hope and thankfulness, but also deep concern and opposition." The letter
affirmed the churchwide assembly's action to adopt CCM and expressed
hope that the Episcopal Church would act favorably on it.  The bishops
said they were "grateful" for conversations on CCM.  The letter said the
bishops look forward to working together with brothers and sisters "of
diverse views" in the ELCA and the Episcopal Church on the
implementation of CCM.
     "We ask that such implementation be pastorally and jointly
achieved," the ELCA bishops said.
     For some Lutherans CCM is unacceptable because it requires the
ELCA to observe the historic episcopate, a succession of bishops as a
sign of unity back to the earliest days of the Christian church.  Under
CCM, ELCA bishops are required to preside at all ordinations.
Presently, Lutheran bishops may designate another ordained pastor to
preside.  Lutherans who oppose CCM say it threatens Lutheran identity
and changes the role of bishops in the church.  Since its adoption,
debate over CCM has been a time-consuming issue for some ELCA bishops,
and it has generated discussion in some areas of the church.
     The bishops' pastoral letter attempts to answer CCM opponents by
suggesting the possibility of discussions to explore exceptions for
those Lutheran ordinands who cannot accept the historic episcopate.
     "As we gradually move into full communion, we invite the
exploration of possible ways to allow a synodical bishop, in unusual
circumstances and with appropriate consultation, to authorize another
ELCA pastor to preside at an ordination," the bishops said. "We ask the
ELCA Church Council, in consultation with the presiding bishop of this
church, to pursue this exploration as part of our continued broad
consultation in this church and with The Episcopal Church."
     The bishops appealed for ELCA members -- including themselves --
to engage in truthful discussion of CCM.  "As brothers and sisters in
Christ, we are summoned ... to put away falsehood and speak the truth in
love," they said, citing Ephesians 4:25 of the Christian Bible.   The
bishops "recommitted" themselves to this call in their letter.
     The pastoral letter was adopted without audible objection,
following a five-hour discussion over three days.  The letter was
drafted by a five-member team of conference members who worked some
eight hours during the bishops' meeting here March 2-7.
     The bishops prayed before their vote to adopt the letter, and
stood and applauded when the vote was completed.
     "I'm very pleased we were able to adopt this letter in revised
form," said the Rev. Stanley N. Olson, bishop of the ELCA Southwestern
Minnesota Synod, Redwood Falls, Minn., and chair of the drafting team.
"It will be very helpful to those with theological concerns about the
historic episcopate.  People I talk to are committed to this church.  I
think they will see this as a hopeful sign from the bishops."  Olson
said in his area there have been many questions about CCM.
     Other members of the pastoral letter's drafting team were the Rev.
Lowell G. Almen, ELCA secretary, Chicago; the Rev. Lee M. Miller, bishop
of the ELCA Upstate New York Synod, Syracuse; the Rev. Steven L.
Ullestad, bishop of the ELCA Northeastern Iowa Synod, Waverly; and the
Rev. Howard E. Wennes, bishop of the ELCA Grand Canyon Synod, Phoenix.
     The Rev. Richard J. Foss, bishop of the ELCA Eastern North Dakota
Synod, Fargo, said the pastoral letter "is the most helpful thing I've
come across.  It solves for me that someone may be ordained in this
church without a physical touch from someone who is in the historic
episcopate."  Foss is opposed to CCM.
     "This will be taken as a sign of great risk," said the Rev. Mark
S. Hanson, bishop of the Saint Paul (Minn.) Area Synod. "I pray that it
will not jeopardize Called to Common Mission and will make the Episcopal
Church aware of where we stand."  During the discussion, Hanson urged
his colleagues to assume stronger leadership on the CCM issue.
     The Rev. H. George Anderson, ELCA presiding bishop, expressed
concern that Episcopalians understand the ELCA bishops are not
suggesting changes in the CCM text.  Rather, they have offered
suggestions on CCM's implementation to be explored in consultation with
the Episcopal Church, Anderson said.  He said he would convey the
pastoral letter to the Episcopal Church.
     During the discussion, several bishops said it was important for
the conference to speak to the ELCA on CCM and speak clearly.  The
bishops turned down attempts to modify or delete the letter's language
on the exploration of possible exceptions to the synodical bishops' role
in ordinations.
     "It's very important that we clearly mention what is the concern
here," said the Rev. Richard J. Jessen, bishop of the ELCA Nebraska
Synod, Omaha, a CCM proponent.
     "Although we hear angry voices and threats, a large number of
congregations in my synod will be receptive to any action to be
flexible," said the Rev. David W. Olson, bishop of the ELCA Minneapolis
Area Synod.
     Early in the meeting, the bishops discussed the "Common Ground
Resolution," a series of suggestions on CCM that would require
considerable constitutional changes if they were to be implemented.  The
suggestions were sent for possible consideration to the bishops, to
Presiding Bishop Anderson, the ELCA Church Council and the WordAlone
Network, an interim organization that serves people opposed to CCM.  The
resolution came from an unofficial dialogue of proponents and opponents
of CCM in Milwaukee last month.
      "The Common Ground Resolution was not an attempt to shape a
poison pill that would cause the Episcopal Church to vote no," said the
Rev. Peter Rogness, bishop of the ELCA Greater Milwaukee Synod.  Rogness
was a participant in the dialogue and was among 17 of 18 participants
that approved the resolution.
     A "significant portion" of the ELCA is having difficulty with the
historic episcopate, and, unless the bishops acknowledge the
significance of 'Common Ground,' ongoing events related to CCM "will
continue to play out in a pretty destructive way," he said.
     "The Milwaukee proposal seems to be trying to create a bigger tent
for all in the church," said the Rev. John C. Beem, bishop of the ELCA
East-Central Synod of Wisconsin, Appleton.
     "We have to acknowledge that there is a portion of people in the
church who have a major problem within their consciences" over CCM, said
the Rev. E. Peter Strommen, bishop of the ELCA Northeastern Minnesota
Synod, Duluth, Minn.  The comment related to opponents' acceptance of
the historic episcopate.
     "Those who favor CCM are also driven by their consciences," said
the Rev. Paull (correct spelling) E. Spring, bishop of the ELCA
Northwestern Pennsylvania Synod, Seneca.  Spring also asked the group if
there is a way to implement CCM over a period of several years.
     "I'm concerned about the unity of our church," Spring said. "I'm
trying to build some bridges."
     "I'm concerned that we say we're not backing off of CCM," said the
Rev. Stephen P. Bouman, bishop of the ELCA Metropolitan New York Synod.
Bouman also said the bishops' responsibility "is to the world, not to
ourselves."
     The Rev. Jon S. Enslin, bishop of the ELCA South-Central Synod of
Wisconsin, Madison, said the Common Ground Resolution caused current
ELCA full communion partners and other members of the National Council
of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. (NCC) to wonder about the ELCA's
credibility and the implications of full communion agreements.  Enslin
said he had those conversations with "heads of communion" at a recent
meeting of the NCC executive committee.
     The ELCA's full communion partners include the Presbyterian Church
(U.S.A.), the Reformed Church in America, the United Church of Christ
and the Moravian Church.
     Bishop Miller suggested how the bishops might address the CCM
issue the first day of the debate.
     "We must find a way to proclaim Christ, affirm CCM and have some
'wiggle room,'" he said.
     Other concerns surfaced during the discussion.  The Rev. Mark B.
Herbener, bishop of the ELCA Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana Synod,
Dallas, said he is upset about "falsehoods and lies" that have been
printed in some publications about CCM, the ELCA and leaders in the
church.
     "This kind of stuff we don't need in the church," he said, adding
the bishops must deal with it somehow.

For information contact: