From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Session Elections Complete Top Leadership

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 01 Jul 2000 08:26:32

for Adventist World Church

July 1, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Session Elections Complete Top Adventist Leadership

Toronto, Canada.     The election on June 30 of
Pastor Matthew Bediako as General Secretary and
Pastor Robert Rawson as Treasurer completes the
three top leadership officers for the Seventh-day
Adventist World Church. President Jan Paulsen was
re-elected earlier today by delegates attending
the 57th World Session meeting in Toronto, Canada.

Bediako, 58, a Ghanaian national, served as a
general vice-president for the World Church (1990-
2000), and as Field Secretary for four years
(1986-90). Previously, he worked as president of
the Adventist Church in West Africa and in Ghana.
He has both pastoral and educational experience,
having taught at church schools in Bekwai and
Asokore. He is married to Elizabeth Coffie Bediako
and has four grown daughters.

Bediako replaces Pastor G. Ralph Thompson who has
occupied the position of General Secretary since
1980.

"I believe that when God's people meet and pray,
whatever their decision is, I will abide by it,"
said Bediako, standing beside his wife Elizabeth.
"We have accepted this responsibility, since we
believe God will stand by our side. We remember
the promise, 'My God shall supply all your needs
in Christ Jesus.' We need you prayers as we take
up this responsibility and learn to walk in the
shoes of Pastor Thompson."

Rawson, 63, an American, was returned as
Treasurer-a position he has held since 1995. He
has wide experience in treasury matters, with
previous financial leadership positions in  church
organizations in the United States of America, as
well as in Singapore, Japan, and the Philippines.
He is married to Carolyn Rawson and has four grown
children.

In his acceptance speech, Rawson paid tribute to
his wife, and said that "You must know that prayer
is what gives me the courage to stand before you
today. It is an honor for me to serve God and the
Church." [Editor Jonathan Gallagher for ANN/APD]