From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist World Church President Re-elected

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 01 Jul 2000 08:27:01

July 1, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schäffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
www.stanet.ch/APD/2000/GK

Adventist World Church President Re-elected for
Five Year Term

Toronto, Canada.     Pastor Jan Paulsen, world
president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, was
re-elected on June 30 for a five year term.

The president's election by the 2,000-strong
delegation came after his name was put forward by
the Session's Nominating Committee, composed of
174 members representing a wide range of different
parts of the world.

Paulsen, a Norwegian, has served the Church in
this role for the past sixteen months and has
extensive pastoral and administrative experience
as a missionary, teacher, college principal, and
church administrator at the highest levels.

"It is both a privilege and honour to serve the
Church and our Lord," commented Paulsen in his
acceptance speech.  "God is the one who calls and
sustains us. Were it not for that conviction I
would run a long way away. But I am reassured by
the long-held conviction my wife Kari and I share
that God gives guidance to us. We will do our best
to discharge the duties you have placed on our
shoulders. We will try to do something wonderful
for the Church and our Lord. It gives us strength
to know that you remember us in your prayers."

Paulsen's re-election comes as the first vote of
the Adventist World Session on leadership matters.
The Session, held every five years, conducts the
business of the Adventist Church, including
electing leaders, developing policies and
programs, reviewing all areas of Church
activities, and voting position statements on
matters of concern.

Before his current leadership role, Paulsen served
as vice-president of the World Church from 1995-
99. Prior assignments have included president of
the Church's Trans-European Division based in St.
Albans, United Kingdom, college lecturer and
principal in the U.K., and missionary in Ghana and
Nigeria. He is married to Kari Trykkerud Paulsen
and has one daughter and two sons.

When asked about the major challenges facing the
Adventist Church, Paulsen points to the rapid
membership growth.

"Accommodating dramatic church growth is a major
task," he comments. "With a million new members
joining in just the past year or so is a real
challenge for the Church" in terms of providing
spiritual nurture, pastoral leadership, and places
of worship. Added to that is the need to maintain
the togetherness of this family of faith around
the world, with all its cultural diversity brought
together in the unity of spiritual development."

In exclusive comments to the Adventist News
Network (ANN) after his election, Paulsen stressed
the importance of the Church maintaining its
mission and identity.

"The Church must never forget its mission of
spreading the gospel and confronting individuals
with God's offer of salvation," he said. "We also
need to look at ourselves, and make sure that the
Church is a place to feel at home--a warm and
friendly community of faith. It's critical that we
cultivate the elements that unite us and work to
uphold life-giving, not bureaucratic structures."

Paulsen concluded by saying he looked forward to
the future with confidence. "As a Church, our
beliefs have a strong future component, and we
look forward with confidence as we place all our
plans and proposals in the hands of God, who leads
this Church." [Editor Jonathan Gallagher for
ANN/APD]